How do I check the setup of my voltage regulator

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

I've just installed a refurbished dynamo on my 1957 AJS model 30, after the previous e3l gave up completely.

Now the ammeter is sticking on full charge when I rev it, though if I tap it it returns to a normal position. How can I ensure I'm not getting too much power through? Is it possible to check out the set up of the voltage regulator, which is the original Lucas mechanical affair according to the ally box!

Phil
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Checking and set up of the Lucas regulator is covered in the workshop manual, obtainable from the club.

ranger

Post by ranger »

Hi Phil

The w/shop manual is good, as Alan says. However, I have a copy of the original Lucas workshop instructions for setting up and will gladly send you a copy if you let me have your address. I recently reset my 59 mod 20CS box succesfully.
Best wishes

Tim
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

Tim

that's very kind, yes please.

Phil Hindle
The Old Vicarage
East Lyng
TAUNTON
TA3 5AU
ranger

Post by ranger »

Tis in the post

Cheers

Tim
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Hope you can sort your unit out but as they get old problems set in and i recall having problems with mine ie charging at tickover and diminishing as the revs rose. Eventually found it was bouncing points. It has had an electronic reg on ever since. You can even get one now that is made to look like the original cvc unit and takes the cover off your old unit for totally authentic looks. Available from CMES as advertised in Jampot.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
geronimo

Post by geronimo »

many thanks, I'll let you know how I get on!
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Phil,

most period books tell you to take it to a Lucas service agent to test the CVC. however you can check the points close, ie start charging, when the dynamo voltage breaks 7.3v. If this is happening then there should be a similar voltage on terminal 'A'. If these two things do not happen and you have checked that the 'D' terminal is properly earthed, you have got a problem with the CVC and before you waste more time speak to the nice man Sean at CMES and get a good quality electronic regulator that will take your CVC cover and look just like the original - the difference being it'll work probably for many years to come. Les Smith
Keep smiling