electronic ign

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
poptsova

electronic ign

Post by poptsova »

Hello has anyone fitted electronic ignition to a g12 in the distributor thats a 18d2 lucas if so what make and was it a success thanks for any help.
robcurrie

Re: electronic ign

Post by robcurrie »

I have fitted a Thorspark in the magneto of my 31 CSR, they do make a unit to fit your distributor. It works very well, but they should have put Loctite on the screws which hold the pickup onto its baseplate.

Rob C
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I fitted a Powerspark ignition kit to my G15/45 18D2 dizzy.This replaces the points and condenser but you'll need to check the A/R bob weights etc are ok. In my case it was money well spent, so much so that I've ordered a second kit for my brother's G15/45.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Could you not use any electronic ignition unit suitable for a twin? The new system will drive twin sets of coils...one per cylinder. This way you won't need the rotor arm to distribute the spark to each cylinder so you won't have any HT leads going in or out of the cap thus cutting out a potential leakage spot for the sparks. You can use black mastic to fill the empty holes...... The sensor switch fits in the distributer...then the remote ignition box feeds twin coils conveniently sited to drive short HT leads to each plug...The A&R bob weight unit is usually removed to take the new sensor disc....Les

PS....There are ignition units that still use the original points and bob weight advance and retard unit and drive one coil so the whole system virtually remains the same HT cable wise driving the rotor arm as before...The advantage of this type is that the spark power is boosted and the points don't arc so last longer and they are cheaper..
poptsova

Post by poptsova »

Thanks now have spoke to thorspark and they say they do a system for the 18d2 so have ordered one lets see what happens thanks to everyone for you input.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

David, here is a link where you will see my method for setting the timing with a strobe light. I ran the engine with the primary cover off.

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 82#p117818

Rob C
poptsova

Post by poptsova »

Thanks rob i will do something similar for strobe timing .
bjork

Post by bjork »

When i looked at the same job, the usual Boyer/Pazon back plates were all too large a diameter for the 18D distributor. I think Al Osborne did a modded kit to fit them. Luckily for me I was able to tweak the advance retard unit to a usable state and use a twin coil, thanks to advice on here. If the thorspark still uses the original advance retard kit that may be your biggest challenge to get it running right.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
trophy

Post by trophy »

Reynard24 wrote:I fitted a Powerspark ignition kit to my G15/45 18D2 dizzy.This replaces the points and condenser but you'll need to check the A/R bob weights etc are ok. In my case it was money well spent, so much so that I've ordered a second kit for my brother's G15/45.
I also fitted a Powerspark unit to my 1962 Model31 with 100% success. Would recommend them to anyone as a replacement to points. Important to get the timing right, preferably using a strobe with the outer chaincase cover removed.
Ride safe all.
McBob

Post by McBob »

Fitted one of the power spark/simonbbc kits to my triumph spitfire, for 20 quid why not?

Thankfully I also kept the points and condenser in my tool kit, as these got me home when red module failed less than a month later.

On the classic car forums there are many same such stories, although some folks exceed a year before trouble.

The car is now back on quality points etc and my dyno trousers tell me it goes much harder, certainly revs better in upper range.

my 10¢ worth