650 Crank sprocket valve-bolt issue

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lostinsdf

Re: 650 Crank sprocket valve-bolt issue

Post by lostinsdf »

Here is the last picture form Zwarts about adding a breather pipe to the Timing cover. I may try this but it will pain me to cut a hole in the timing cover.
breather3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostinsdf

Post by lostinsdf »

A friend stopped by today and he looked at the crank and immediately noticed that the crank had been modified. Goodness me, he was right! I had not noticed. Fresh eyes on the issue I guess.
It looks like someone has modified the crank by putting in an insert. Has anyone seen this before? Is the insert pressed in or screwed in? I would like to get it out, get my machine shop to make me a new one and install it. If the old insert is threaded in is it normal or reverse threads?

Still trying to make this work without having to resort to making a breather elsewhere.

Thanks
IMG_3305.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Why don't you get a local engineering shop to make you up a breather bolt with the thread type of the bolt you removed? You have a correct breather they could use as an example but cut the thread to match the crank. Saves buggering about with adding breathers and messing about with a crank that has been messed with already.
lostinsdf

Post by lostinsdf »

That is an excellent idea. I guess I'll start with my local machine shop and, if they can't do it, maybe they can refer me to someone who can.

Thanks
mdt-son

Re: 650 Crank sprocket and an annoying magneto issue

Post by mdt-son »

Stuoyb wrote:The sprocket bolt/relief valve assembly is :-

025526 RELIEF VALVE ASSEMBLY
http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21613

You also need :-

023268 LOCK WASHER CRANKSHAFT TWIN
http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21536
Please note the relief valve assy for alternator twins is 025298.

-Knut