Oil pressure gauge

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
trophy

Oil pressure gauge

Post by trophy »

Hello. I have just completed fitting a replacement crank to my 1962 model 31, fitting new shells etc. I would love to check the oil pressure before next riding season. I have no reason to doubt the oil pumps output but I would sleep better if I knew. I have trawled through the technical articles for a "how to" but if there is one I'm blowed if I can find it. Can anyone help :?:
Ride safe all.
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Post by Rob Harknett »

Is a gauge really needed. Something else that could go wrong or not read correct. There can be no mistake by what you see returning to your oil tank. Unlike a car where you have only a warning light to go by. Just check you are getting a good return an have a good nights sleep.
trophy

Post by trophy »

Your quite right Rob. I have had several bikes fitted with oil pressure gauges as standard and one (1932 BSA Bluestar 500) whose handbook stated 4 psi was acceptable, and a couple where the only indication is oil dripping drop by drop through a sight glass, another couple where there is no indication at all and relied on spiked con rod bottoms splashing oil in the wet sump onto the bearing and cylinder. I also believe that Triumph replaced their oil pressure gauge sited on the petrol tank instrument panel for a pressure indicator on the timing cover, all because of owners concerns of low oil pressure. As it happens the return to the oil tank is good, and I do know that with shell bearings its flow rather than pressure which is important. Changed my mind. Won't bother with checking the oil pressure.
Ride safe all.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

trophy wrote:Your quite right Rob. I have had several bikes fitted with oil pressure gauges as standard and one (1932 BSA Bluestar 500) whose handbook stated 4 psi was acceptable, and a couple where the only indication is oil dripping drop by drop through a sight glass, another couple where there is no indication at all and relied on spiked con rod bottoms splashing oil in the wet sump onto the bearing and cylinder. I also believe that Triumph replaced their oil pressure gauge sited on the petrol tank instrument panel for a pressure indicator on the timing cover, all because of owners concerns of low oil pressure. As it happens the return to the oil tank is good, and I do know that with shell bearings its flow rather than pressure which is important. Changed my mind. Won't bother with checking the oil pressure.
Probably a wise move, when cold I've seen gauges read over 300 psi cold only to drop to below 25 when hot on a twin, so never bothered after that as my heart couldn't take the strain of the worrying. The bikes are still running to this day so it's quite normal.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Old vehicles had pressure gauges, Our V twins had facilities in the tank panel for a gauge. They got dropped post war. I check oil levels visually on my car. One day returning from a committee meeting, the oil can warning symbol came up. I was only a few miles from home, so continued home. When I checked my dip stick. I found I only had about a pint of oil left in my engine. I would had done better by checking by sight, than rely on the oil warning devise.
moley

Post by moley »

My 1948 Triumph shows about 60 .... If that's any help... andy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I'm believe I read somewhere my 650 CSR pumps at 200 ppi
GrimJim
Deceased

Post by GrimJim »

Workshop Instruction Manual - All Models 1957 - 1964: Page 14. Description and Photo.

Jim
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

You can look at this link :
AJS 650 1965 restored first run part 3 - YouTube
From 1964 650 had hi-cap oïl pumps, with a discharge valve fitted in oïl pumps body.
With 20/50 classic oïl, oïl pressure when cold reaches 60 PSI at idle, and when hot 25 PSI at idle, 45/50 PSI at 3000 RPM.
On my 1957 M30 I had not discharge valve, and leaks were very important between cylinders and crankcase, and betwen crankcase halves. I was using Castrol GP 50.