Saddle pictures info

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Spock

Saddle pictures info

Post by Spock »

I usually fitted lycette type saddles to all my BSA's. I liked them and there were optional or original parts on pretty much al,those companies bikes. I can see references to a single touring saddle for my 59 G12A in the parts list. However I am not sure, bearing in mind the frame shape, what this would look like fitted. I have been unable to find a single pic of a G12 fitted with a saddle.
Does anybody have any further info and/or pics to see if this is an option, whether it is possible and whether it would look rubbish fitted.
hwilkinson

Re: Saddle pictures info

Post by hwilkinson »

Hi.

I think it was just the G3C that had a single saddle in 59. I have never seen a G12 with that type of saddle.
Harry
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

hwilkinson wrote:Hi.

I think it was just the G3C that had a single saddle in 59. I have never seen a G12 with that type of saddle.
Harry
Correct, owners really need to get the books for their bikes. They would see no saddle offer for 59 bike other than for G3C.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.24_20h17m10s_001_.png
They would se the saddle for G3C is not like a Lycette
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.24_20h23m51s_002_.png
Come to the conclusion, to fit an old type saddle will need to have fitting points and/or bodged fittings made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

Censored
Last edited by TrevorCSR on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spock

Post by Spock »

I do have the parts book for my model, however I find it particularly opaque to read and the exploded diagrams are frankly rubbish and incomplete.
This is my first matchless and I have found parts availability to be poorer than the pre unit BSA's I normally had in the past.
I suppose I am used to BSA, Landrover and MG cars where parts manuals and spares availability are basically 100% and books show every part, even online. Its taking a bit of getting used to the matchless parts lists and availability, which are not of the same category as the other vehicles I had, have or am rebuilding.
If a saddle is not available then the twin seat will go back on, the reason I asked the question was because it didn't look as if it would fit anyway, despite me preferring the comfort of a well set up and sprung saddle.
The bike is off the road at the moment anyway undergoing a full rewire to 12v neg and upgrade to electronic ignition, twin coil, solid state regulator, new alternator, new loom and switch. With a bit of luck this will make it easier to start and sort my charging issues.
While the bike is in boits I am sorting out various odds and sods, the usual bodges you find on a 57 year old bike when you buy it, no matter how good it looks when you buy it! :headbang:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do have the parts book for my model, however I find it particularly opaque to read and the exploded diagrams are frankly rubbish and incomplete.
This is my first matchless and I have found parts availability to be poorer than the pre unit BSA's I normally had in the past.
Maybe you have not yet found your way round AMC literature. e.g. Parts lists, Instruction books, workshop manuals, sales catalogues, exploded drawings, like the one below for a single engine. These big posters cover all major parts of the machine.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... d_view.pdf
There are also " Service sheets " These were issued when any changes were made mid year. 50 odd years later, they have not survived as the books have. They were mainly issued to dealers. They did the job required at the time. The fact that we would need all that literature 50 years into the future was never a consideration. Look here for literature http://www.archives.jampot.dk
The old type Lycette saddle may had looked OK on a bike up to 1956, like this, when a ridged rear end was still an option.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.25_10h45m11s_001_.png
1957 onwards tinware became more stream lined and the saddle would not look quite right. Maybe BSA hung on to the old a little longer than AMC, so you were able to fit the old type saddle on the BSA's with them looking out of place?? But I am sure BSA did go for the more stream lined look at about the same time as AMC.
Have you considered joining our club??? The more you discover about the bikes and find your way around, I am sure you will eventually discover, AMC machines and our club, have just as much to offer, if not more than your tried and trusted BSA's. e.g. the club stocks approx. £1/3 million of parts, ready for 48 hr. delivery. Thats better than you got 50+ years ago from your local BSA dealer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spock

Post by Spock »

I am a member of the club, having joined last week and have the parts manuals for my model, they just aren't as clear as I am used to. I am used to classic bikes and cars having had many over the years and still do but until now never had any classic bikes other than BSA's. A case in point would be the recently solved issue of the side stand. The book gave no clue onhow it was mounted and looking at the frame I had no idea, it took a pic of the mathcless way of doing it on another bike to eventually find the two holes in the frame, I would never had found this under the oily muck without knowing where to look and the parts book didn't help!
Currently in the stable are two 1972 MG's, a series three Landrover and a BSA sunbeam scooter, sitting beside the recently acquired G12 Matchless. Most of them are fully road legal
The matchless, with no fully illustrated diagrams to work from, creates some problems in identifying what is a bodge and what should be there mostly in the small fittings, fixings and brackets categories and mainly because I don't know the specific models well enough to be sure when something ins't original.
I use all my machines and they are not garage queens by any measure and while I will modify to make useable (the rewire being a case in pint) I do try to make them look as original as possible.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

Censored
Last edited by TrevorCSR on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do not take too much notice of artwork on parts lists etc. Same artwork was used for years. As for side stand spring, it has a hook each end. As a teen ager, I hooked one end on the stand, it then appeared to want to go backwards, I soon discovered it lined up near holes in the frame. Maybe I was lucky?? or maybe the holes in frames have got filled with paint over the years. I certainly did not need a diagram to show me where to hook a spring. At the time my only bike knowledge was how to fix punctures, adjust brakes, bearing's etc on a push bike. No forum, books or free copies however bad. Just Dad and the old boy across the road who had a motor bike, to ask how to ??????