QD rear wheel

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob0121

QD rear wheel

Post by bob0121 »

Does anyone have a couple of photos they could post. One of a QD drum and one of a fixed drum. The dl should have a QD, but it's fixed. All the tech drawings I've looked at seem to show an image of a QD drum that looks the same as on the bike. The images of the fixed drums look different. Is it possible that it has been bolted up. I'm assuming that a fixed type drum has been fitted for some reason. The guards come back from paint soon, so would like to get it all sorted in one hit. I've ordered the QD fixings, will order the drum if I need to.
Cheers.
Rob Harknett

Re: QD rear wheel

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am not aware the drums look different externally. I would also check first a non QD could be converted to QD before ordering bits.
bob0121

Post by bob0121 »

Hubs are pt numbered the same. The drawings of the drums are different. This is why I could do with photos to compare to. Either the drum has been replaced with a fixed one, or for some bizarre reason the QD one has been bolted. Either way i need the fixings and probably need the drum.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

They look similar from the outside but on the driveside the QD type will have a large nut (on the dummy spindle) and a smaller nut on the axle. The non QD type only has the smaller nut for the axle.
Dave.
bob0121

Post by bob0121 »

That's where the confusion is. The drive side is set up as a QD, as it should be. But the drum is bolted to the hub? The bike was in the ownership of one man for most of its life who did the majority of the 40k miles on the clock including many mad Sunday's at the iom. I don't think it's something he would have done. The guy who It was rescued from was a messer I think.
TrevorCSR

Post by TrevorCSR »

You already have a 'cush' drive in the clutch centre. The de-luxe model had the QD rear which also has rubber 'cush' for the drive. Maybe IF the PO was riding it hard, he 'locked' the rear drive. Could also be why AMC did not fit that 'cush' wheel to the CSR - the sports version.
bob0121

Post by bob0121 »

Not only not a QD drum, but the wrong hub as well. So the wheel has been swapped out at some point. So that's a task for the future. The shape and style (internally) is very similar to the drawings for the QD drum in the books.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Still trying to work this out. So the drum has a dummy spindle as a QD. But the drum does not have the larger mounting holes for the pins (with the rubbers). Assuming the hub is right for the period, then that's not an issue, assuming! So did amc do an earlier QD drum with smaller mounting holes. As I've said before, I'm not convinced that these wheels ever belonged to this bike. The only things on the bike that didn't need restoring. The rear wheel sits around 1/2" too far to the left. And I think it's something to do with the QD wheel issue.
A drum came up on fleabay. But it's a lot of money to waste if the whole wheel is the issue. As I've got to replace the gearbox sprocket and chain, I'd like to deal with this now, rather than further down the line.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

What year are you trying to arrive at, is the motorcycle?

My 56 G80S has QD with the steel pins without the rubbers and drum to match. Don't end up with one of these by mistake.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The early QD hub did have smaller holes than the latter type with the rubber sleeved but unless special bolts have been machined to fit the drum holes then simply bolting it up would not be very successful. Pictures of what you currently have and how it's fitted will make it easier to sort out what you need to convert to the latter type.