QD rear wheel

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

Re: QD rear wheel

Post by bob121 »

The bike is 1960. Can't take the back wheel out at the moment as the front is out waiting to be skimmed. From what I could work out from earlier parts listings, the hubs in the late fifties are the same. The only person I knew who lived and breathed amc hasn't been with us for a good while now, unfortunately. He would have put me straight in a breath. And probably would have had all the parts needed. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post some pictures. But knowing what I suspect might be along the right lines is helpful.
Thank you.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

56G80S wrote:What year are you trying to arrive at, is the motorcycle?

My 56 G80S has QD with the steel pins without the rubbers and drum to match. Don't end up with one of these by mistake.

Johnny B

Could be this is what's fitted. Which means complete wheel swap. :o
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Assuming that these were a matching pair of wheels, is there a reason to replace the front wheel. Apart from authenticity and maybe parts replacement issues. It fits ok. Is lined up ok and apart from the drum being out of round, functions ok.
Found some text regarding the qd drum being drilled rather than having the boss's for a very brief period which included 1956. So that has been helpful. So I need a complete rear wheel with one to get rid of.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

It's fairly certain that the rear hub and drum are 55/56 competition qd type. Steve surby as said not to have it as a qd set up. To leave it bolted as it is. Apparently prone to excessive wear. Bit of a pain. If I get puncture with the deep chainguard makes for an awkward job with the chain. So looks like it'll stay as it is for now. And I'll have to keep an eye out for the DL qd wheel.