Front Fork Springs

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
moley

Front Fork Springs

Post by moley »

Its time to sort my forks out. Do i recall that some people agreed the G12 felt a lot better on the front with sidecar springs!

Ta

Andy
TommoT

Front Fork Springs

Post by TommoT »

Well, I don't know about G12s but G80s certainly do. I fitted the sidecar springs to my G80 a couple of years ago and they fit my riding style well. Springing is not particularly stiff, but still firmer than standard.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
billy mcknight

Front Fork Springs

Post by billy mcknight »

I brought this subject up a few weeks ago on the forum as the forks on my G12 were very soft, I also spoke to Dave Gregory on the help line to see if fitting side car springs would help. I think the general opinion is to stick with the standard heavy weight touring spring any way that is what I have just done together with new oil seals. Oh yes I got one interesting reply that suggested filling each fork leg with the correct oil and gradually increasing the amount by a fluid ounce in each leg until the required stffness is reached I think I will let you try that one and see if it works. Good luck
ajscomboman

Front Fork Springs

Post by ajscomboman »

I certainly would not recommend fitting sidecar fork springs on a solo. They are quite considerably stiffer and you might end up finding that it's almost like having a rigid front end, giving a very choppy ride. It depends on how you like a bike to be set up i guess.
Chazzyb

Front Fork Springs

Post by Chazzyb »

The manual does say you can go to 10oz of oil per leg for heavier loads or increase the weight of it for more damping. I know from experience that you can make the front end feel rock hard by putting a heavier oil in. I'm currently using solo springs and a fork oil described as 20W-30. More oil regardless of weight reduces the volume of air in the forks and affects compression damping. The air tends to compress more easily than pushing oil through the damper tubes. Less air doesn't compress so much, so compression damping starts earlier - forks feel harder. Effectively, the springs are used solely to get the correct ride height.
Charles
Wavy

Front Fork Springs

Post by Wavy »

There also seems to be different opinions on which way round the spings are placed. eg:- tight coils at the top?
wilko

Front Fork Springs

Post by wilko »

Logically it shouldn't matter as the same forces are being applied. But i'll bet somebody has a different opinion. I suppose us down here in Oz should have the tight coils on the bottom!
rex.webb

Front Fork Springs

Post by rex.webb »

Up HERE ?
We have an old saying
"Do what you feel is best "
Which ever way up they were it would be a "GOOD RIDER" that could tell the difference.
SAE of the oil has more effect ,and the Temperature as well.
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
BruceB

Re: Front Fork Springs

Post by BruceB »

Rather than start a complete new thread I have found this old one.
In stripping down my forks to rebuild on my 59 G12 I have fond they are 12.5" long. This would seem to make them sidecar springs (which would make sense as the bike was fitted with a friction damper on the steering implying it had a sidecar fitted at some point)
I would not say that the ride was particularly hard, however I have only ever ridden the bike with them fitted. I am not too lardy, about 14-15st so I assume either standard or CSR springes would be my best best rather than refitted the ones I have?
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Re: Front Fork Springs

Post by BruceB »

Oh, and another related query. I have ordered new top plastic bushes for the forks but I see bronze versions are available even if non original.
Any opinions on using bronze bushes in preference to the original plastic ones?
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000