A.J.S. 31

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
shifter

A.J.S. 31

Post by shifter »

There is a 31 up for sale on the old e bay and gumtree not that far from me any members know of its background i think it may be worth a punt
?
TrevorCSR

Re: A.J.S. 31

Post by TrevorCSR »

Deleted
Last edited by TrevorCSR on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Oh dear very sorry TrevorCSR my education was not the best being slightly slow on the uptake but I try my best if that is not good enough so be it.
The bike is in Tyne and Wear not that far from (clue that is under my forum name)
?
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Hi there, just looked on Gum🌳 And only one machine comes up in Porthcawl. Nothing comes up in Flea Bay.
I guess you don't want to post the url for the ads as it makes it easier for someone else to snap it up !.

Good luck with it all the same, always better to enjoy a machine 🏍💨on the road than have 2 rusting in the shed 😀

Karol
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

There are a few for sale in the club adverts as well.

Rob C
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

2 model 31's for sale in the North East. One in Gateshead, one a bit further south in Richmond. Both look OK to me, with a few small departures from standard. The gateshead one looks good despite the wierdest rear carrier! (Plus the dreaded oil tap).
Dave.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Dave
Thank you its the one in Gateshead I am referring to I'm thinking about going to view the bike all I wanted to know is if any member had any info on it prior to viewing.
Again thanks for you views
Rob C
I enquired about one on the site but alas its in the process of being sold
Again thanks
?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

The head on the Gateshead one doesn't look quite right. I thought all 650s had some diagonal fins under the exhaust ports.
Not sure whether you could carry a passenger with that rack - looks like it is also preventing the seat going right down so the two rear fixing screws cannot be fitted which is why they are missing.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No, '59 650's didn't have those diagonal fins. They came in 1960. Funny though, the other one in Richmond has later heads with those diagonal fins! You have to be careful mixing these heads and barrells. The top spigot on the 59 is 76mm dia. The 60 on heads are 77.7mm. So the later heads will go on but you might get a lot of head gasket blowing. Also the exhaust angle is different on one side.
Dave.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Jim
I noticed the items you are on about as well I am also wondering what else is a little not quite right ? but I suppose there is no harm in viewing the bike to satisfy my concerns.
Thank you for help
I have just seen what Dave has said about the head's/barrells now that concerns me a little
?