Unknown part?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
BruceB

Unknown part?

Post by BruceB »

I took my distributor out last night and did a bit of work to it, replacing it and retiming the ignition afterwards. I found this Unknown Brass washer under the bike today which I don't remember, don't recognise and am not sure where it came from. It might not even be from this bike as there are three bikes in the garage!
I looked at the parts list and there doesn't seem to be a thick brass washer in the dist drive and there didn't seem to be space for it anyway other than the thin steel washers under the drive gear under the timing cover.
Am I missing something and is it from the bike? The only thing I took off and worked on recently was the distribrutor, can't think of where it came from, pics attached
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg
The only place I can think it possibly came from, if of this bike, is between the dist body and the rear of the timing case at the clamp. Even then I don't think there is enough free play and it would mean taking the timing cover off again to try it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Re: Unknown part? 59 G12 alternator twin.

Post by BruceB »

Having looked at the bike in detail tonight it seems it was definitely not fitted between the distributor body and the rear of the timing case as the hole is too small.
The hole in the middle is also too big to fit inside the case and it was not oily at all so could not have come from there anyway.
On page 85 of the manual it gives the cryptic statement
"A bronze thrust washer is fitted between the pinion and the distributor body. "
I have a silver colour washer and a wavy washer between the pinion gear and the timing case but still have significant play on the distributor shaft in a lengthwise direct along the shaft, even when the dizzy is clamped.
How much play should be here and what components should be here?
At the moment I have, in order along the dizzy shaft, pinion gear - wavy washer - plain washer - timing case - dizzy holding triangular plate - dizzy clamp - dizzy body.
Does that sound correct and if so what end play would I expect on the shaft back and forth when clamped up?

If the large washer pictured didn't come from here then does anybody recognise it from anywhere on the bike, it definitely fell out from around the gearbox area and wasn't there when I started the job. :oops:
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Rob Harknett

Re: Unknown part?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.27_00h22m52s_001_.png
Is this the part blown up??? Maybe you can find in your parts list the pt. no. and see where it goes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I have looked at this diagram, along with everything I could find in the manuals and online but even if one of the part numbers was a shim it still does not show any assembly order. basically I have a shim and a wavy washer underneath the pinion part no 025031 is that all that should be shimming the shaft, there is still a fair amount of free play unless I pull the dizzy out from the clamp a bit and clamp it with a gap between this and the timing case.
I suspect the brass/bronze washer that I found underneath the bike is nothing to do with the distributor (ie something else has fallen off somewhere and its a co-incidence) but I still have a fair amount of play in my dist shaft which I am keen to find out is normal or not.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the part is of the number in the drawing it will be seen where it goes.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.27_11h30m57s_001_.png
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

None of the numbers shown match up with the numbers in the workshop manual.
I have come to the conclusion that the brass/bronze washer cannot be part of the distributor system, unless it was a bodge of some sort. It simply doesn't fit anywhere where it could be factory.
Now I am trying to ensure my dist drive is fine and has all the parts it should have due to the play.
I will worry about where that washer came from later, probably as some part it was holding on the bike drops off..........
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The Lucas numbers will not match up with the AMC part numbers. Ignore the lucas numbers look for the part.
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

The closest is 422650 but that looks more like a threaded ring. I don't see it there.
Rather than concentrate on a washer that may have come from somewhere else it is probably easier to confirm what others have fitted under the pinion gear as thrusts and under the distributor housing body as spacers (if anything)
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

This is what is fitted and in what order, does this look correct? Just a bit wary of the end play on the dizzy shaft when clamped up
dizzy.JPG
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

Can anybody remember if this diagram shows what should be there? It is the order and number of parts fitted to my Distributor drive.
I can't fathom the mention of a bronze washer between the pinion and distributor drive in the manual and I simply can't find any reference or diagram actually showing the parts order anywhere.
There seems to be references all over the internet to bronze washers/ packing pieces and spacers fitted to 18D2's on many types of bike but I can't find a picture or a good description that shows what it looks like or where it is fitted.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000