Oil drips from megaphone

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
willowbedone

Oil drips from megaphone

Post by willowbedone »

Help
My 1960 g12 runs well does not smoke ,spark plugs correct colour. But oil drips from right-hand silencer when its first started
Any help and advice would be appreciated
Thanks Ian
REW

Re: Oil drips from megaphone

Post by REW »

Drips from where? End, middle or under the oil pipe or unions? I frequently check the unions are tight and oil tight. Oil tank drain plug leaking? If the engine is ok, then it is something like these suggestions.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks Ron it's dripping from silencer front clamp and silencer end I will check oil tank and pipes it does have an anti wet sump tap so I will check Although no oil send to leak from tank as legal ok
Ian
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Give it chance to burn off condensation etc. on start up. My car will spurt out condensation and water on start up. But with your bike it will take a few minutes to get the oil warmed up, circulating and draining etc. After which it should burn up most of the mixture leaving only hot gases to expel, through a dry exhaust system. This procedure will take longer after a long lay up or excess oil in the sump. Engines in bikes of our era were dirty, smelly, oily etc. etc. This sort of problem???? If that what it is now, was never worried about when the bikes were new.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I don't suppose it's leaking from the kickstart seal, onto the pipe and into the joint is it? Run a finger under the kickstart to see if it's oily.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:I don't suppose it's leaking from the kickstart seal, onto the pipe and into the joint is it? Run a finger under the kickstart to see if it's oily.
Dave.
That does happen Dave, but oil is also coming out the end of the silencer. The problem seems to be something I really turn a blind eye to when starting or just doing short runs. Don't even bother me too much with my well worn bore prewar bikes. Bit of oil burning in the silencer makes them smell like an old bike.
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

dave16mct wrote:I don't suppose it's leaking from the kickstart seal, onto the pipe and into the joint is it? Run a finger under the kickstart to see if it's oily.
Dave.
Thanks Dave I have just checked and yes it's the kickstart oil seal leaking Not worried now just need to keep me eye on gearbox oil legal
Thanks to all who took the time to reply
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i was just about to say kickstart shaft but Dave replied with that .
my burman box drips oil from the kickstart shaft hole and then you get a little on the exhaust and then on the floor over time .
i do keep mine topped up and perhaps over filled at times , maybe i ought to leave it below the kickstart shaft line .
i think the level plug is almost in line with top of kickstart shaft but if yours is an AMC box then not sure if its similar .
anyway at least you know there is oil in there .

glad you worked it out .
ian
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

On the AMC box you can fit an 'X' section O ring which stops the leak. You can get them for the gear lever shaft too.
Dave.