Alternator

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Peteg

Alternator

Post by Peteg »

Hi
Does anyone have a tip on how to check the clearance between stator & rotor been told it should be
8 tho but there's no way of checking once cases are bolted together
g80csp11

Re: Alternator

Post by g80csp11 »

wrap rotor twice with electrical tape and bolt up then kick over . remove cover check for damage to tape
Peteg

Post by Peteg »

Hi pete
I will try the tape idea but not kick over just keep putting tape on the rotor and sliding on if it marks I know which way to move the stator
That must be a first a question asked be a member and answered by a member with the same name.
Cheers Pete.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

You do need to kick it over as the rotor will have some run out
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:You do need to kick it over as the rotor will have some run out
Christ!!!! That's twice in one year I agree with you. Must stop it NOW as it's becoming a habit!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Peteg wrote:.... if it marks I know which way to move the stator
How are you going to move the stator, it fits in a machined recess in the cover?
When I fitted a new stator, I wrapped a wide strip of aluminium from a cooldrink can around the rotor (the ends held with very thin double sided tape - or you could use superglue) and offered the outer cover with slightly loose stator to the inner cover, kicked the engine over, removed the cover carefully and tightened the stator nuts. Repeat with a fresh strip of ally (painted side outwards) to check there are no marks.

Rob C
longman

Post by longman »

Can't see how you will move the stator. its a very close fit in the outer chancase cover. maybe you could skim a few thou off the diameter of the rotor?
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

You would first have to determine where the cause of the interference is, it could be a bent drive side shaft, off centre rotor, mismatched primary casings, etc. You would need to check the gap as well, ideally the rotor and stator should be concentric with as small a gap as possible (8 thou), the bigger the gap, the less efficient the generation ability.

Rob C
dodger

Post by dodger »

Alternator cover 2.jpg
You could modify the alternator cover as I have done, this gives the added benefit of being able to incorporate permanent easily accessed ignition timing marks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Dodger

That's interesting - do you have a photo with the cover removed?

Regards Mick