Kickstart lever

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
vrossi46
Deceased

Kickstart lever

Post by vrossi46 »

Good afternoon all. Many thanks for all your information on my last posting regarding the pistons. I have just finished a top-end overhaul of my 1959 G12 engine, and gearbox and a 'problem' has occurred. The piston rings have been replaced with new items from Cox and Turner (excellent service by the way) and the engine smokes on initial start-up - I'm told that I should have 'honed' the bores before replacing the barrels, but the problem will cease after some miles of running - is this the case? (the bores are pretty near spot on. I have used new composite head gaskets for the rebuild).
My other concern is that, after replacing the gearbox final drive oil seal and the kick start and gear lever oil seals, the kick start lever will not return to it's position after starting the motor. The return spring appears to be OK and the gears select as before. Any ideas please. Cheers. Dave.
ajscomboman

Re: Kickstart lever

Post by ajscomboman »

The smoke will eventually cease so I wouldn't worry too much about that one, unless it smogs out the whole road behind you, been there and done that one! :o

As for the kickstart not returning, it is possible for the spring to disengage from the inner cover on the earlier AMC boxes especially if pattern springs have been used as the angle of the leg is to shallow. Also over time the hole in the case opens up allowing the leg of the spring to slip out. Other than that I can see no reason why the starter shouldn't return unless the o ring is too thick and binds the axle.