G12CS frame and engine numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
greg kazen

G12CS frame and engine numbers

Post by greg kazen »

I have a friend that has what he believes to be a 62 G12CS. The frame is stamped on the timing side of the neck starting with a C followed by five digits. The engine is stamped similar to my 61 CSR but doesn't have a year number?

Not a lot of info on the post 61 CS models, and according to a number of the books, they stopped selling them in 61 (which seems to be false). Can anyone confirm that the post 61 frames started with a C and that the engine would have been stamped minus the two digit year?

Thanks, Greg
Rob Harknett

Re: G12CS frame and engine numbers

Post by Rob Harknett »

There were no G12CS after 1960.. Also, according to numbers given by AMC they seem to drop the comp. number series that had C prefix about that time. Then on all models inc AJS sharing the same series, Have you checked with the Dating officer?
greg kazen

Post by greg kazen »

Rob, not to be an argumentative sort, but I have an original 1962 Indian Matchless fold out brochure that has both the CSR and CS listed as the Apache. Also, the Roy Bacon restoration book has a few pictures of the 61 U.S. spec CS models. I've read on other threads on this site that the CS model was dropped for 62 but some were made for U.S. sales only. The machine in question has an alternator and as stated, a c prefixed frame. Is it possible that the frame and engine started life on different bikes? Or were the comp frames used on the CS machines to finish off whatever frames were left in the factory post 1960? Anyone out there have a 62 with similar numbers? Or is Rob correct that no CS models were made post 1960?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

greg kazen wrote:Rob, not to be an argumentative sort, but I have an original 1962 Indian Matchless fold out brochure that has both the CSR and CS listed as the Apache. Also, the Roy Bacon restoration book has a few pictures of the 61 U.S. spec CS models. I've read on other threads on this site that the CS model was dropped for 62 but some were made for U.S. sales only. The machine in question has an alternator and as stated, a c prefixed frame. Is it possible that the frame and engine started life on different bikes? Or were the comp frames used on the CS machines to finish off whatever frames were left in the factory post 1960? Anyone out there have a 62 with similar numbers? Or is Rob correct that no CS models were made post 1960?
Greg. I am referring to GB literature and numbers given by AMC for the home market. The G12CS as discontinued in GB after 1960. If the Indian co. still had a demand for a G12CS I am sure AMC would not refuse an order to make some. At the time AMC were loosing money. So were very keen to increase sales in USA. Perhaps the club has export records that will confirm you bike numbers year of production.
clive

Post by clive »

As suggested why not try the dating officer for information. Of course there is a charge if the details are in the factory records.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
greg kazen

Post by greg kazen »

Thanks. If I end up buying the bike from him I may go thru the club for dating info (I did for my 61 back in 94). No, just figured someone (probably stateside) had a 62 that they could compare engine number (lack of year) and frame (C prefix) to.

Thanks, Greg
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

greg kazen wrote:Thanks. If I end up buying the bike from him I may go thru the club for dating info (I did for my 61 back in 94). No, just figured someone (probably stateside) had a 62 that they could compare engine number (lack of year) and frame (C prefix) to.

Thanks, Greg
Lack of date on the engine number would be correct as the practice was stopped after 61 and the engine would be stamped x ******, it's certainly the case with my 63 CSR. Can't comment on the frame number though as I don't know about the later twin frame numbering but my comp singles are all stamped C****