Skimming brake drums

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

Re: Skimming brake drums

Post by bob121 »

JEAN-NOEL wrote:Hello Jason,
Have a look at Classic Brake Service site, in High Peak, Derbyshire.
They have linings for all applications. Their linings are bonded and rivetted on the shoes (belt and braces !) and then machined to the drum diameter. If it is necessary, the drum is skimmed with the Wheel built.
J.N.
Linings were done by Villiers services. They were done with a measurement of the diameter of the drum and the assembled linings on the brake plate. And then the thickest linings allowable fitted. It's my error for not noticing the drum being off. But the wheels were the only tidy things about the bike. That should have set the alarm bells off. They're not from this bike. Thanks for the help everyone.
Groily

Post by Groily »

drum skimmer.jpg
Here's a pic of a DIY tool based on a flycutter bar in a weapon which locks onto wheel spindle and has up/down in/out movement. Works quite well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McBob

Post by McBob »

Cheers Groily, nice bit of kit
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Central wheel wanted the hub only. A friend of mine put me onto a guy in burton. Had to leave it with him, but done in a couple of days. Charged next to nothing. He said that he only took a couple of though out. But it's a world away from what it was like before. Found out after that he has a YouTube channel. AG Engineering I think.
Not the best time of year to try and get the shake down done, but waited too long and spent too much money to wait for the better weather.