Chain and other things

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bob121

Chain and other things

Post by bob121 »

Going to go up one tooth on the gearbox sprocket. The chains need renewing, but I don't want to get caught out by trying the std length final drive chain and it being too short. Does anyone know what chain is used (looks like it might be a 520). I can then get an over length chain.
Also, I don't think the regulator is in the correct place and want to relocate. Does anyone know where it should be. And last, for now. What's the knack to fitting the chrome tank strip. Because I've made a pigs ear of mine.

1960 M31 DL
Rob Harknett

Re: Chain and other things

Post by Rob Harknett »

Look in in your bikes parts list for the correct chain size and number of links. Assuming the rear sprocket is standard you'll need one a link longer. Perhaps you should have also referred to your workshop manual and instruction book for the other Q's. Much better to read & see yourself what you need to know about.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Bob
Count the links in the old chain and get an Iwis chain 2 1/2 links longer from the Chain Man - he will know the link size. You can cut 1/2, 1 or 1 1/2 links off as appropriate as you never quite know how much the old chain may have stretched and you do not want to end up with two spring links if it is too short.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's not 520, that's 5/8x1/4" You need 5/8x3/8" which is 530. As Rob says look in the manual, but look in the 57-64 workshop manual because it has a table of all the chains and sprockets with number of links. If you're changing to a 17t gearbox sprocket, that's CSR gearing. Also there's a good picture of the regulator in the manual. Can't help with the chrome strip, I haven't done mine yet.
Dave.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Cheers. I might still have a 530 knocking around. I must have missed the picture of the regulator, I'll look again.
Called Central wheel today. They will only take the drum to skim it. Not the wheel. Back to the drawing board on that one.