AJS Model 31 1960 Alternator and Rectifier

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ken pee

Re: AJS Model 31 1960 Alternator and Rectifier

Post by ken pee »

Hi AJSCOMBOMAN
Yes I am fine sad to say finally sold the Cottage last year. It was difficult to sell because of the noise of passing traffic !!!!!
Ken
ken pee

Post by ken pee »

ajscomboman wrote:
ken pee wrote:Thanks All,
I can't believe your swift responses. It certainly looks like the stator has caused the problem. i am certainly isolated in Cyprus (please spare your handkerchiefs and the tears). No free holidays but any one out is free to call me. You would get free drinks. Les great to here from you hope you are well
Regards
Ken
Like the hidden pun there Mr Pee. Are you keeping well? Been a few years now since we last saw you. Still pass your old place by the Horse and Jockey quite often.
thanks yes I am well are you . Obviously we know each other but I don't know who you are and it would be nice to know and why the formality ? I sold the Cottage last year It was difficult to sell because of the amount of traffic !!!!
Ken
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ken

If you swiftly click on the posters name in the left hand box you should be able to see their profile and name.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Hi Ken,
I am keeping well thanks.
Paul Goff has a stall at Kempton with mainly electrical items. If you google his name you should find his online shop.

If you replace the stator, assemble it finger tight in the outer case and wrap some gaffa tape round the rotor. Put the outer case/stator in place. This should align it correctly. Then remove carefully, tighten up the stator, remove the gaffa tape and reassemble. This should keep the gap even, otherwise they can seize. Forgive me if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

Regards,
Les
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:Hi Ken

If you swiftly click on the posters name in the left hand box you should be able to see their profile and name.
Now you've given the game away, spoilsport!!!! Any way good to hear you're still alive and kicking Ken. I use the A1 solid state reg/recifier 12V available from Paul Goff and it's been faultless, Rob.
ken pee

Post by ken pee »

Thanks Les,/ Rob
i know the uk is going through a gender crisis but I am definitely not a grandmother ( as it happens I did become a grand dad just 5 years ago ) Your tips will be helpful. Mr. Swift I guessed it must be you. Now I have sold the Cottage please feel free to go past it as frequently and make as much noise as you like. To you both where does the Hants section meet and when. Has the membership changed significantly?
Ken
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

ken pee wrote:Thanks Les,/ Rob
i know the uk is going through a gender crisis but I am definitely not a grandmother ( as it happens I did become a grand dad just 5 years ago ) Your tips will be helpful. Mr. Swift I guessed it must be you. Now I have sold the Cottage please feel free to go past it as frequently and make as much noise as you like. To you both where does the Hants section meet and when. Has the membership changed significantly?
Ken
We meet just up the road from the Hut at the Angel still 1st and 3rd Thurs, it may have been the Lawns when you were last here and before that it was the Pig and Whistle. Doubt you'd know many faces now. Nick Carter, Roger Duffy, Norman Powers, Les and myself are all that's left of the original bunch when you were around. Ian has moved to Sussex, John Belcher and Graeme Wey left, John Hopper moved to Cornwall and Cecil has passed away.
ken pee

Post by ken pee »

Thanks Rob, Shame about Cecil , a real lovely guy. Nice to know the rest of you are still going regards to all. I know Graeme left as I kept in touch with him and he prepared my bike before my son John got it shipped to Cyprus. I am off to the Manx in August with my 2 sons, they think they are going to show me how to ride a bike with their 1000cc modern jap bikes. No chance as you lot will know I never new how to ride one in the first place !!! Back to the subject matter I have got on order a new alternator and rectifier. Looking at the rotor god knows how I am going to get the old one (a Wipac ) off. So expect another call for help. You don't get rid of me that easy.
Ken
ken pee

Post by ken pee »

Hi All,
Don't know if I can return to this subject but here goes. I have got a new lucas single phase alternater and rectifier (thanks to Parcel Force 2000 miles 2 days, Cyprus "snail mail" 160km 28 days). How the hell do I get the old Wipac rotor off the mainshaft ?!!!!. ls it a normal thread or left hand. How do I lock the mainshaft whilst trying to undo something that has been in place for some 58 years. Any help would be really appreciated. I am missing riding the old girl (no sexual or gender implied!!!)
Ken
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

If you still have the primary chain on, you can put it in gear and put the brake on. It is right hand thread.

Rob C

PS: This is also a good test of your clutch grip!