Oil leak from Quadrant Bolt

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
PeterJCorby

Oil leak from Quadrant Bolt

Post by PeterJCorby »

Hello, Do you know if the orings can be changed in situ? I seem to have found my leak which is coming from the two bolts that are on the quadrant side of the gearbox.

Thanks
ajscomboman

Re: Oil leak from Quadrant Bolt

Post by ajscomboman »

Being a G12 I'm assuming we're talking about the 2 bolts on the selector cam ring/quadrant arm of the AMC box. If so then the answer is yes but it is fiddly and you'll need a nice little 90 degree dental pick to get the little buggers out. Time/patience plus little fingers will help.
PeterJCorby

Post by PeterJCorby »

Little fingers... lucky I have kids that are pretty good at helping me. Will hopefully be able to assist me this time too.

Yes I can see that it is going to be a mission to get fixed, Thought I had replaced these o rings when I rebuilt the box.Given the amount of oil that has leaked out I wonder if I left the orings out completely? :shock:
PeterJCorby

Post by PeterJCorby »

OK I admit defeat. There is no way to get a spanner in there to remove these bolts, so I am going to have to remove the gear box to sort these two leaks out. When I shift the gear lever I can see oil drip out between the washer( spacer) and the gearbox. This would explain the heavy oil puddles and mess I have experienced recently. Any one have suggestions to make this easier? I take it I will have to remove Clutch, engine sprocket, gearbox sprocket, Clutch Cluster, and primary chain case. Left and right exhausts( which I had just sealed up as they were pretty loose in the head). Foot pegs and then the bolts holding the clutch to the mounting brackets. Sure is a labour of love to fix a oil leak.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Before stripping everything try removing the primary chain and moving the box rearwards as far as it will go in the slots.
mollymole

Post by mollymole »

Just had the same problem,managed to remove the parts but there was no way I could refit them.To save removing the primary case I removed the off side engine plate,still rather fiddly tho. I think you could manage the quadrant bolt but not the Cam bolt between the plates.
PeterJCorby

Post by PeterJCorby »

Hello. Yeah I stripped everything to get to them. Was ok as I found a few other spots the gaskets were leaking from. Have now reassembled it mostly. Another few hours and I should be ready to test it on the road to see if the leaks are solved.