DIY Badge bar.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mollbhan

DIY Badge bar.

Post by Mollbhan »

I intend to make up a badge bar, not for badges but as a crash bar in case the bike gets knocked over or I drop it, hopefully it would save the petrol tank. A 20mm mild steel threaded rod will fit through the sidecar bracket and can then be sleeved with a 22mm chromed copper pipe, I am sure somebody must have made these up before, can anybody tell me what would be the ideal width? Threaded rod is available in high tensile but I feel in the case of a minor spill (heaven forbid) mild steel would bend where high tensile would probably bend the frame.
Rob Harknett

Re: DIY Badge bar.

Post by Rob Harknett »

May I suggest something like this. Rough drawing but I'm sure you'll sus that out OK. O/A dimension 23 1/2" and 1" tube dia is as Britax crash bars.
This is how I made my crash bars before I picked up cheap Britax bars I could re chrome. Mind your head on the bars when working on the bike.
O/A width is less than that of handle bars, so not increase the bike width.
crash bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Thanks for the sketch Rob, that is pretty much what I had in mind, I think I can get the correct chrome tube from flea bay.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think I picked up a chrome bath towel or curtain rail from a car boot sale for about 10p. Dome nuts off pram wheel axels.