Oil consumption G12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Ib-Denmark

Oil consumption G12

Post by Ib-Denmark »

Hello
I know this have been up before and I have searched, but could not find it.
So I am sorry but here is the question again:
Is my G 12 (1965 with 30.000km on the clock) using too much oil? and should I care?
This years trip to IJR and Yorkshire was 2650km (1646 miles) long
and I used 2 liter of 20/50 oil.
The bike is running fantastic and it is not smoking. -Should I care?.
Regards at thank you for a fine Rally.
Ib
ajscomboman

Re: Oil consumption G12

Post by ajscomboman »

Ib, I wouldn't worry too much about that consumption. Duncan "Smokey Joe" Moss used nearly that much on the ride from Hampshire to the rally alone! I'm sure he'll now come back with some jibe at Triumphs, but it'll only be sour grapes! :D
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Ib When we came to your IJR just about the same millage i used about 3-4 gallons and the bike is still running fine. :lol:
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

G15 Roy wrote:When we came to your IJR just about the same millage i used about 3-4 gallons and the bike is still running fine.
A litre every 150 miles :o - still, I guess you can always find your way back :rofl:

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Mick D wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:When we came to your IJR just about the same millage i used about 3-4 gallons and the bike is still running fine.
A litre every 150 miles :o - still, I guess you can always find your way back :rofl:

Regards Mick
Give or take a drip that was the plan but we came home a different route, One other bike also used two gallons but he may not wish to be known as he has now sold the bike :rofl:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
Mick D wrote:

Regards Mick
Give or take a drip that was the plan but we came home a different route, One other bike also used two gallons but he may not wish to be known as he has now sold the bike :rofl:
Well that rules me out then as Rusty never used that much, ever!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote:Ib, I wouldn't worry too much about that consumption. Duncan "Smokey Joe" Moss used nearly that much on the ride from Hampshire to the rally alone! I'm sure he'll now come back with some jibe at Triumphs, but it'll only be sour grapes! :D
More actually about 2.5l in 500 miles, this was burnt rather than thrown out, I tried to retype the tail of woe about the white post (aka Stumpy) killing tiger but it is such a lengthy tail I cant beat the time out control on the forum I shall have to stripe it back.
RIP Stumpy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Industry standard acceptable limit on modern engines is 1ltr per thousand miles. So on an engine of this age and construction, that would be more than acceptable.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Ib, I wouldn't worry too much about that consumption. Duncan "Smokey Joe" Moss used nearly that much on the ride from Hampshire to the rally alone! I'm sure he'll now come back with some jibe at Triumphs, but it'll only be sour grapes! :D
More actually about 2.5l in 500 miles, this was burnt rather than thrown out, I tried to retype the tail of woe about the white post (aka Stumpy) killing tiger but it is such a lengthy tail I cant beat the time out control on the forum I shall have to stripe it back.
RIP Stumpy.JPG

Nothing messes with a Tiger!!! Except electrical issues! :cry: :cry: Didn't stop it though. :D
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Too much Ib , my G 11CS only used 0.2 liter for 2500 km.
Poul