Undersized club supplied copper head gaskets

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
jim griff

Undersized club supplied copper head gaskets

Post by jim griff »

I've just bought and fitted a set of the clubs copper head gaskets to my 63 CSR and after following the standard torquing procedure went for a gentle run to get it hot before re-torquing once it was cold the following day. I got back home after a half hour ride to see that the L/h side was leaking oil all over the barrel and down onto the primary case from the head joint. Upon stripping the bike and checking the thickiness of the gasket, I have found it to be measuring to be just under a 1mm thick, which is well under what it should be. The spare composite gaskets I have measure at 1.5mm. The copper thickness of the new gaskets equates to about 20 SWG when it should be nearer to 16 SWG in thickness, so no wonder it failed!

During the rebuild, I lapped the head to the barrel to ensure 100% contact when re assembled and fitted vitron 0 ring seals as a precaution to any leaks to no avail. The barrel Spigot hasn't been altered either, so I am very dissapointed with the club selling sub standard parts that aren't suitable to be used. The existing stock should be weighed in as scrap and re-ordered in the correct gauge of material.
Janet

Re: Undersized club supplied copper head gaskets

Post by Janet »

Have you contacted the spares scheme people about this so they know there's a problem?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The parts service have been advised and despite having sold numerous gaskets from this batch over the years have withdrawn them from sale. However whilst it easy to say get some more thicker ones made, it's not so easy to do.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Yes I used some of the incorrect gaskets a few years back and I had to grind a bit off one of the valves to get some clearance. I did not twig at the time that the gasket thickness could be wrong.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Perhaps as the gaskets have been selling for sometime (I used two a couple of years ago) and the fact that few other
people have had a problem. the thickness of the gasket would not affect the oil seal. So maybe the problem lies with
the possible unecessary fitting of the "O" rings,after all that is the only difference between yous and others who have
no problems
Tony
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

jim griff wrote:I've just bought and fitted a set of the clubs copper head gaskets to my 63 CSR and after following the standard torquing procedure went for a gentle run to get it hot before re-torquing once it was cold the following day. I got back home after a half hour ride to see that the L/h side was leaking oil all over the barrel and down onto the primary case from the head joint. Upon stripping the bike and checking the thickiness of the gasket, I have found it to be measuring to be just under a 1mm thick, which is well under what it should be. The spare composite gaskets I have measure at 1.5mm. The copper thickness of the new gaskets equates to about 20 SWG when it should be nearer to 16 SWG in thickness, so no wonder it failed!

During the rebuild, I lapped the head to the barrel to ensure 100% contact when re assembled and fitted vitron 0 ring seals as a precaution to any leaks to no avail. The barrel Spigot hasn't been altered either, so I am very dissapointed with the club selling sub standard parts that aren't suitable to be used. The existing stock should be weighed in as scrap and re-ordered in the correct gauge of material.
I understand this was on face book as well why? It's the spares department that needs to know so we can deal with the problem.
Roy
BRobbo

Post by BRobbo »

Janet and Roy, I was told by another supplier last year that the Club copper gaskets were half the required thickness, it's difficult to believe that the Club were not also aware of it.
Janet

Post by Janet »

BRobbo wrote:Janet and Roy, I was told by another supplier last year that the Club copper gaskets were half the required thickness, it's difficult to believe that the Club were not also aware of it.
In my simple mind, it may be difficult but not impossible and, if everyone assumes someone else has informed the Club about it, the Club will never know. I apologise for poking my nose in but old habits die hard.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think Club Spares have known about this issue for quite some time, as a regular forum user I've seen it discussed over a period of years. I also appreciate that, having successfully sold many of these gaskets without issue, the Club is probably reluctant to scrap their stock. Why not put a comment on the part description giving details of the reduced thickness and let the customer make their own decision as to whether this will seal? Club may not sell so many gaskets but the negative feedback should cease.

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The parts service have been advised and despite having sold numerous gaskets from this batch over the years have withdrawn them from sale. However whilst it easy to say get some more thicker ones made, it's not so easy to do.
As Rob said above they have been withdrawn and a new supplier as been found. Its a shame to have to scrap them they were bought from a Club member
a few years ago so no chance of a refund. :cry:
Roy