021907 Seal retainers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
BruceB

021907 Seal retainers

Post by BruceB »

Anybody have a source for one of these seal holders for 1 1/4" forks? I have stripped down my forks because a a bad front brake (aren't they all) and a bit of judder and I intended to replace the spring covers as they have always rubbed (the bike had obviously been dropped in the past)
On stripping down I found it was one of the chrome seal holders rather than the top covers and need a new one (or a new pair would be better)
I can't find them anywhere even secondhand, the club is out of stock and I need one to put the bike back together.
Anybody have a source, even one that is straight and needs rechromed as the other one needs rechormed anyway. Even better would be a source somewhere f the new SS ones the club has on their listing but out of stock.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
g80csp11

Re: 021907 Seal retainers

Post by g80csp11 »

Ive started making my own , you can buy stainless tube of ebay and turn off the old ones and silver solder new ones to the seal holder
total cost less than a tenner each if you have a lathe , silver solder and the time /skill
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

Unfortunately no lathe or silver soldering kit
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've got one in the garage somewhere, will dig it out tomorrow and post a couple of photos

Regards Mick
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

Club stores say they will probably be available in 8-10 weeks time but that means the bike won't be on the road again before the winter. A secondhand one would be quicker, even if I have to take them off and get them rechromed over the winter.
The one I have needs rechromed anyway so if you have a speare one kicking around that is straight, even if it needs chromed, that would be great
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I got the club ones today, it did say that they were of a lower standard than the usual but in reality I don't think they are actual of usable quality. Still looking for at least one I can rechrome or a set of stainless ones, or hope the club spares get in the better quality ones soon.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

BruceB wrote:I got the club ones today, it did say that they were of a lower standard than the usual but in reality I don't think they are actual of usable quality. Still looking for at least one I can rechrome or a set of stainless ones, or hope the club spares get in the better quality ones soon.
Quality is in the eye of the beholder, once screwed in they are not too bad. However we did discover an issue, some of the threads are not too great and this will be addressed, also they are not 021907 for the 1 1/4 forks despite the makers sending us the part number. They are actually 018161 for the 1 1/8th forks so spring clearance would definitely have been a serious issue. The welds on the inside bottom are not pretty but the spring seating is easily fixed by fitting a felt ring and then the leather washer.

Of course all of the above issues are easily solvable provided you lot are willing to cough up over £100 for a set of UK made ones. Until then they will not be available as we simply cannot tie up that amount of money.

A full refund will be issued naturally for the product as will return postage, however a simple call to spares would have been appreciated before blasting the issue all over the forum.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

how much are you prepared to pay for stainless ones ? as I explained before they are easily manufactured if you have a lathe , silver soldering equipment and a pair of old ones to turn down . i don't really need an extra job to do but I could arrange to make a set
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:how much are you prepared to pay for stainless ones ? as I explained before they are easily manufactured if you have a lathe , silver soldering equipment and a pair of old ones to turn down . i don't really need an extra job to do but I could arrange to make a set
Can't you sort out some batch work for us Peter? The more we commission surely the cheaper they can be to the members. I wasn't thinking of you making them all by the way, maybe farm them out to contacts?
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

ajscomboman wrote:A full refund will be issued naturally for the product as will return postage, however a simple call to spares would have been appreciated before blasting the issue all over the forum.
I did not not say what the faults were although you have just stated what they all were including the fact that they don't fit 1 1/4" forks (except mine won't screw in at all)
I had messaged the spares scheme with the details yesterday when they arrived but thought it was worth letting others know who have also been waiting for some months for the same part that they were not usable as they stand to prevent others wasting effort ordering them as well.
I wopuld hardly say my post qualified as "blasting it all over the forum" I thought it quite restrained ;)
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000