Newbie in lockdown

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
King Derelict

Newbie in lockdown

Post by King Derelict »

Hi all

Well, yesterday I took delivery of a 1959 model G12 which runs fine and sounds glorious. And today the sun is shining. And I am working from home. And I can't go anywhere...

So, to make best use of the next few weeks, I might as well get on with a bit of fettling (in between working, obviously).

So, as this is my first proper classic bike, and I have the engineering abilities of an elderly baboon, does anyone have any advice as to some of the things I should check/look out for/tweak so that when the summer comes and parole starts I can be riding it rather than finding myself stuck out in the wilds, with an overdeveloped right leg from trying to get the thing started?

For example, I am still trying to get the bike onto its centre stand, and see from the forum that this is a matter of technique rather than strength, so I will be practising that - any tips welcome.

Also, I would like to replace a few consumable bits, like rubbers to smarten it up before critical eyes see it - presumably the supply of parts is where Jampot comes in extremely useful?

And when I actually get onto the road, being more familiar with modern bikes, is there anything I should bear in mind ( apart from not changing gear with the brake lever), such as how high to rev between gears, handling peculiarities, tyre pressures, etc.

I know nothing beats learning by riding the thing, but until that's an option, learning by the experience of others is all that's available at the moment...

Thanks
KD
clive

Re: Newbie in lockdown

Post by clive »

welcome to the forum, your first few posts will be moderated so will not appear immediately. The spares dept is an important part of the club but you have to be a member to buy parts, it is currently on-line only. As a guest you will only be able to ask question for 3 months which may not see you out to making use of your bike, who knows, so why not join the club, there are plenty of helpful members here.
To get the bike onto the centre stand use the grab handle towards the back, below the seat and above the suspension. Use this to lift and pullback with one hand as you pull back on the bars with the other, foot on the ground behind the stand leg. If you really struggle the club President sells a roll-on roll-off stand which makes the job dead easy. (beat you to it Rob so now I won't have to tell you off for advertising on the open forum as this is a recommendation! :rofl: )
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: If you really struggle the club President sells a roll-on roll-off stand which makes the job dead easy. (beat you to it Rob so now I won't have to tell you off for advertising on the open forum as this is a recommendation! :rofl: )
Spoilsport!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Learning from others is not the only option. In fact, first of all you need to get literature for your bike. Look here. http://www.archives.jampot.dk
In " books " you will find an instruction book, parts list & workshop manuals. In Promotional a sales cat.
The literature will help you to ask questions and understand the answers better. That funny shaped round bit will have a name.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

King Derelict wrote:Hi all

Well, yesterday I took delivery of a 1959 model G12 which runs fine and sounds glorious. And today the sun is shining. And I am working from home. And I can't go anywhere...

So, to make best use of the next few weeks, I might as well get on with a bit of fettling (in between working, obviously).

So, as this is my first proper classic bike, and I have the engineering abilities of an elderly baboon, does anyone have any advice as to some of the things I should check/look out for/tweak so that when the summer comes and parole starts I can be riding it rather than finding myself stuck out in the wilds, with an overdeveloped right leg from trying to get the thing started?

For example, I am still trying to get the bike onto its centre stand, and see from the forum that this is a matter of technique rather than strength, so I will be practising that - any tips welcome.

Also, I would like to replace a few consumable bits, like rubbers to smarten it up before critical eyes see it - presumably the supply of parts is where Jampot comes in extremely useful?

And when I actually get onto the road, being more familiar with modern bikes, is there anything I should bear in mind ( apart from not changing gear with the brake lever), such as how high to rev between gears, handling peculiarities, tyre pressures, etc.

I know nothing beats learning by riding the thing, but until that's an option, learning by the experience of others is all that's available at the moment...

Thanks
KD
Hi, Welcome and congratulations. You might find http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... CHABLE.pdf useful.

It sounds like you are used to more modern bikes, so in the early days you WILL change down with the brake lever at some point, but you'll get used to it quickly. Are the tyres OK - not just tread, but the age? I have Avon Roadriders on mine, which seem to suit the bike well. I chose them on the basis of other recommendations in this forum. As far as the centre stand goes, it is very difficult. Look in Adverts/Services; you'll find an advert listing a replacement centre stand. I have one and it's a revelation. I have no connection Rob, other than as a very satisfied customer. Be careful of the brakes; the rear is generally OK, but the front isn't great, especially compared to modern brakes. Again, you get used to it.

Change the oil, then when the bike is running, remove the oil filler cap and make sure the oil is returning to the tank. It sort of 'glugs' in, so don't be alarmed if you don't see a jet of oil. Practice starting it hot and cold, especially if you have magneto. No engine management systems here, and they are all different in their preferred procedure.

You'll get used to fettling; fettling is an integral part of owning an old bike, and part of the fun. Enjoy!

Malc
bob

Post by bob »

Hi , nobody has mentioned , check if the previous owner has fitted a stop tap in the oil feed line . Often done to stop wet sumping , and not good for the engine to ride with the oil supply cut off .
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Buy one of robs stands. Well worth the money. The original stands are an insult.
King Derelict

Post by King Derelict »

That's really helpful, thanks all - plenty for me to be reading (after work, of course) and will look at joining up as I am sure I will need bits fairly regularly.

At least it sounds like I'm not alone with the centre stand - a replacement sounds like a worthwhile investment.

The previous owner did fit an oil tap - I will probably get that replaced with an automatic one in due course, but until then I will use my pilot's checklist before each start up.

I have an idea of what to expect with the brakes - couple of years ago I took out an old Kawasaki Z1 with a single front disc - just pleased I wasn't wearing my best leathers... as I live in Jersey the speed limit is 40, so I can take it gently while I get used to it.

Will follow up the links this evening and make a plan.

Six months of rain and now stuck indoors with not a cloud in the sky...is nature having a laugh?

Thanks again

KD
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

King Derelict wrote:
The previous owner did fit an oil tap - I will probably get that replaced with an automatic one in due course, but until then I will use my pilot's checklist before each start up.

I have an idea of what to expect with the brakes - couple of years ago I took out an old Kawasaki Z1 with a single front disc - just pleased I wasn't wearing my best leathers... as I live in Jersey the speed limit is 40, so I can take it gently while I get used to it.
Unless your bike is wet sumping really badly, and as long as you run the bike every week or so, you shouldn't need a tap. Mine hasn't got one; if it went wrong it could be disastrous - and very expensive. If i's laid up for a while you can always whip the crankcase drain plug out and drain it before use.

A Kawasaki Z1's single disc is like running into a solid object compared to the AJS brake. And a new centre stand would be a very good move. I can put my weight onto the stand and rock the bike back onto it in carpet slippers (and no, I don't weigh that much!).

Malc
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I don't run a tap on my oil line. I had the oil pump overhauled and modified which really helped with wet sumping issues. The front brake will probably get attention this year. 2Ls will be my approach. I don't need much more than that. If my bike was a bitsa, I'd most likely fit a disc front end.