G12 parts interchangeability

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
alanengineer

Re: G12 parts interchangeability

Post by alanengineer »

Duncan, you are spot on. looks just like any other mid 50s twin crankcase as it has been welded, but the later ones had this sticking out boss. Now im at a loss where to go now. No its not for sale, but if you have a late set of crankcases i would be interested, very interested

Alan
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

alanengineer wrote:Duncan, you are spot on. looks just like any other mid 50s twin crankcase as it has been welded, but the later ones had this sticking out boss. Now im at a loss where to go now. No its not for sale, but if you have a late set of crankcases i would be interested, very interested

Alan
It is possible to manufacture a spacer/adaptor from the a lump of aluminium and attach it to the lower engine stud (a longer one will be required) to provide a mounting point for the chaincase, not original but could make the cases useable. There are probably multiple other innovative ways of doing it too.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Has anyone considered having drive side crankcases made out of billet stock?
There are plenty of timing side crankcases laying around, but mostly the drive side gets smashed, either by crankshaft havoc (lube problem or fatigue), or as in this case, by a chain snapping.

Mating should't be a problem as the timing side surface can be trued in the process.

I have a set of non-matching '60 CSR cases in need of similar treatment.

-Knut