Alloy chaincase removal

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Andy G

Alloy chaincase removal

Post by Andy G »

Can anyone share the safest way to remove the outer chaincase? I don't have a lip anywhere to get a suitable drift on. Tried warming and tapping around the joint with a rubber mallet but no movement.
Case is a 62 with alternator bulge but I have avoided side hitting that!
Obviously I am studiously avoiding putting anything between the faces...so far?
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Mick D

Re: Alloy chaincase removal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Hook your finger into the inspection hole and pull as you tap around the joint, it should come away. If that fails I'd use a slide hammer, very carefully in the inspection holes.

The cases are dowelled mid way up at the rear and at the central bolt location:
Primary Dowels.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Thanks Mick. That's kinda where I'd ended up thought process...I'll keep tapping and pulling.
Problem is that this bike is partly rebuilt and unfinished, so bolted up tight with fresh gasket and paste and no miles to degrade them!
I have also just found a recess in the outer case adjacent to the side stand pivot...not sure if I'm brave enough to put a lever in there yet.

Update / request for ali welding services to follow...
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

OK, so the successful approach was a combination of Mick's finger-in-the-hole-and-tap method with a little more heat and gentle leverage in the slot adjacent to the sidestand - I could probably have been more aggressive, but took it slow. On reflection, that slot could have been custom made for separating the chaincase.

I'll try and post a phot..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andy G on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Worth persevering tho.

This project was abandoned by the po so long ago, he wasn't entirely sure what he'd done (can't blame the fella...I'd be the same) so I decided to go for full strip back and rebuild rather than just complete what he left.
If nothing else, it'll be nice to know that whatever is wrong later is my fault alone!

However, some things weren't ever going to be right if left as is, and I'm already glad I spend the time tapping, pulling and levering off the chaincase as this was never going to seal...
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

OK, so as I am gradually making a list of bits to source, could someone enlighten me on what should be in hole 3 in the image?
1 is the alternator wiring grommit, 2 is a rear chaincase mounting bolt.

I assume 3 is either for a plug or a breather?
clive

Post by clive »

I think that one is a breather hole as the crankcase is vented into primary chaincase.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

on mine 1 is for alternator wire, 3 for the breather. Originaly there was only a rubber tube. To improve the breathing (I hope) I have slightly bored the hole to fit a 90° brass union elbow glued with Araldite, and a length of clear tube to see what kind of oïl could seep from it. Usualy, after a short ride I can see one drop or two of ATF, as I use it in the primary. No contamination of ATF by motor oïl. I have fitted a Dove anti sump tap earthed on the mag.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Thanks Chaps.

I thought it might have some kind of fitting as a breather, but I guess not. Interested in the idea of a right angled fitting and drop tube to carry any oil cleanly away, think I'll steal that one!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you intend putting a pipe on to port the 'breath' away, consider angling the tube upwards so any condensate flows back to the case rather than over the road / rear tyre.

Regards Mick