huile sur pneu arrière MATCHLESS G12 CSR de 1964

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin

Re: huile sur pneu arrière MATCHLESS G12 CSR de 1964

Post by 1608 »

Possibly topped the oil tank up whilst there was still too much in the crankcase!
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I was in touch with Didier a few days ago. There is no breather pipe in the inner chaincase, and he can't see a hole above the the alternator wire one. May be this hole has been closed, as there is no mess between the inner chaincase and the engine/GB plates, only around the rear chain sprocket. He is waiting now for gaskets before dismantling the chain case to check the breather, et c. Could an excessive pressure in the primary chaincase be the culprit ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

JEAN-NOEL wrote:Could an excessive pressure in the primary chaincase be the culprit ?
Hi

Not in my opinion - there is no seal around the gearbox input shaft so any pressure will vent from here. If the oil contamination is coming from the primary case it will be because the level is incorrect either by overfilling or transfer from the engine oil system.

Regards Mick
didier43

Post by didier43 »

Bonjour à tous. Comme l'a dit Jean Noël, j'attends les joints de carter primaire et les engrenages de pompes à huile pour vérifier tout ça ! J'ai refait des essais sur route, niveau d'huile dans carter de chaine primaire au minimum, niveau d'huile dans réservoir au minimum, niveau d'huile boite de vitesse normal, j'ai fait 2 sorties et quelques dizaines de kilomètres et pas d'huile sur le pneu arrière. Les niveaux ne bougent pas et tout semble normal ! C'est à n'y rien comprendre ! Toujours un bon retour en huile dans le réservoir ! Après la première sortie j'ai vidangé le moteur et juste 1/4 de litre d'huile dans le carter ce qui parait normal !

Good morning all. As Jean Noël said, I'm waiting for the primary crankcase gaskets and the oil pump gears to check all this! I did road tests again, oil level in the primary chain casing at minimum, oil level in the tank at minimum, normal gearbox oil level, I made 2 trips and a few tens of kilometers and no oil on the rear tire. The levels don't move and everything seems normal! It makes no sense ! Always a good return of oil in the tank! After the first outing I drained the engine and just 1/4 liter of oil in the crankcase which seems normal!
Didier AUGE