Model 31 or 31 Delux?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Old Thumper

Model 31 or 31 Delux?

Post by Old Thumper »

I am busy re-restoring my late fathers AJS model 31 and have got the bike fully stripped am now starting to put together shopping list for AMOC spares. At this point I realised there were different versions of the Model31 and I need to know which one I have to order the correct items.

I know the bike is not a CR or CSR and always thought it was just a “Model 31” but having done some reading I now suspect, as it is a 1960 bike (registered in 1961) it is actually a “Model 31 Deluxe”.

I have read about the change to a “Full cradle duplex tubular frame” but not knowing what that actually looks like...that doesn't help much either.

So my question to the more knowledgable out there is.........Is there any simple way to looking at the bike or it's components to know which model I have?

(P.S the bike is fully stripped at the moment so easy to see all elements)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Model 31 or 31 Delux?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A duplex frame has two front down tubes coming out of the head stock casting and curving under the engine on either side, have a look at the illustration in the parts manual:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... G12CSR.pdf

The chrome side panels on the fuel tank are indicative of a 'Deluxe' model, (but could have been added at a later date), not sure if the factory records detailed Deluxe models, Club Dating Officer may be able to help here.

Regards Mick
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I have a 61 DL and it has dynamo and magneto - my understanding is that the non-DL has alternator/coil ignition. See page 95 of Roy Bacon's Post War Models book that suggests this was the case for 1960-on 500/650 twins.

Steve
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Greybeard wrote:I have a 61 DL and it has dynamo and magneto - my understanding is that the non-DL has alternator/coil ignition. See page 95 of Roy Bacon's Post War Models book that suggests this was the case for 1960-on 500/650 twins.

Steve
That's my understanding too Steve, along with the chromed tank panels.

James
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Just checked my engine number and it says 31L. Which I'm sure refers to it being a DL model.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Reynard24 wrote:
Greybeard wrote:I have a 61 DL and it has dynamo and magneto - my understanding is that the non-DL has alternator/coil ignition. See page 95 of Roy Bacon's Post War Models book that suggests this was the case for 1960-on 500/650 twins.

Steve
That's my understanding too Steve, along with the chromed tank panels.

James
Me too. Mine is a '60 DL, with the chrome, dynamo and magneto.

Malc
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Mine is a 1960DL with mag and dyno but no chrome tank just two tone paint scheme like the model on display at the International Motorcycle Museum.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I agree with Steve, the standard Model 31 and G12 was fitted with alternator and coil. A lot of owners however fitted a magneto due to the low output of the alternator especially when in the 5os and 60s many of us used to do night and evening Road Trials and when riding at speeds which were mostly under 30mph because the average competition speeds were 24mph you finished up riding in the dark. I'm for one speaking from experience.
Old Thumper

Post by Old Thumper »

Many thanks for all the input and guidance.

The frame would indeed appear to be a "Duplex" frame and as the bike is fitted with a Dynamo and Mag as well as sporting the chrome tank panels, I am taking that as a Deluxe.
I have also applied for a "Certificate of Authenticity" for this one so it will be interesting to see if it is mentioned on there when it comes through.

Thanks again and at least I can order the bits I need with a bit more confidence now ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.