Front Tank Studs

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
27col

Front Tank Studs

Post by 27col »

Does anyone out there know how to remove the front tank studs from my 1960 Model 31 AJS. They are so short that it is not possible to put rubber washers on both sides of the frame brackets. I would like to fit longer ones.
PS. Many thaks to the Dutch member who e-mailed me on the subject, unfortunately I have lost your name and e-mail address.
JEAN-NOEL

Front Tank Studs

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Have you tried to have the good ones from SPARES SCHEME ?
gacorner

Front Tank Studs

Post by gacorner »

Could you have a non standard mod?
My (earlier) tanks all have bolts screwing into captive nuts in the tank.

You would have to find how your studs are fitted. If they are screwed in and you are going to replace them use a self gripping wrench to extract but if the are welded in - to repair a stripped thread or a punctured tank (did that once myself with the wrong bolt) then you have a bigger job on your hands and you would probably have to cut, drill and retap which into a blind hole is not easy.

Geo
27col

Front Tank Studs

Post by 27col »

The reason that I raised this subject originally is that I did not want to do any damage to the tank.The existing studs have had screw slots sawn in them so I presume that they are indeed, screwed into some sort of captive nut. My overwhelming concern is not to do any damage to the tank. I was just hoping that someone was familiar with the fixing arrangement. Any more info will be gratefully received.