G15cs primary chain cover

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
ksg

Post by ksg »

Hello all how do you remove the primary chain cover on a 1966 cs model.the foot pegs are the type that go over the frame and flip up.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Hello,
I had to do this last week.
I removed foot peg, brake pedal. drain screw and inspection caps (to pull the cover off) and disconnected the wires for the stator before unscrewing the 14 bolts.
Regards Ludwig
ksg

Post by ksg »

Hello Ludwig did your footpegs go over the frame with the stud going through the footrest then the frame.I have tried to remove the footrest but their is not enough room to get it over the frame.
les ward

Post by les ward »

You can't remove the footrest but you can knock it forward from its mounting lug to the round section of the frame, then pivot it down. This should give you enough room to remove the chaincase.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Hello KSG,
seems to be we have different footpegs. At my bike
the construction is similar to the standard frames.
(G80 etc).
But I hope Les's information helps.
Best regards.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The later G15CS footrests allows you to remove the primary chaincase with out having to move the footrests. The very early G15CS/N15CS from 1963 to 1964, footrests had a diffent type of footrest. The later flip up footrests had the back of the main part of the footrest machined out on the curve so that the primary chaincase could be removed with out having to resort to moving any thing else. I have wo CSR's and two CS models and i have always been able to take the primary cover off, as i have the later modified footrests. The easlier unmachined footrests make it almost impossible to remove the primary chaincase with out having to remove or unbolt any other of the frames components. I have always been able to remove the primary chainmcase from my 1966 N15CS with out have to move any thing else. It is slighly fiddly but you can wriggly it out from behind the footrest.