Strip down and rebuild of 1961 AJS front forks

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
PASSAT50
Deceased

Post by PASSAT50 »

Hi there - can anyone tell me where there is a good description of stripping down and rebuilding one and a quarter inch front forks fitted to my '61 16M? They appear to not be functioning properly and seem to be permanently compressed with minimal damping movement. Could it be the main springs are stuck solid? Need to sort this out as obviously the steering is effected and my fillings are in danger of dropping out!!Edited by - ajscomboman on 31 Aug 2012 12:37:57 PM
DWS

Post by DWS »

Hi David

Have a look at this link: Fork Overhaul

I'm sure it will help you. You will also find plenty of other good information here:

Christian's ArchiveEdited by - DWS on 31 Aug 2012 11:16:48 AM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
PASSAT50
Deceased

Post by PASSAT50 »

Thanks for your help!!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Hi there - can anyone tell me where there is a good description of stripping down and rebuilding one and a quarter inch front forks fitted to my '61 16M? They appear to not be functioning properly and seem to be permanently compressed with minimal damping movement. Could it be the main springs are stuck solid? Need to sort this out as obviously the steering is effected and my fillings are in danger of dropping out!!Edited by - ajscomboman on 31 Aug 2012 12:37:57 PM

Not sure about your model bike but AMC forks are much alike so it could be the plastic top bushes swollen and jamming on the stanchions or sometimes the small rubber sleeves on the stanchions that stop the springs rattling around roll up and jam the springs (or someone may have even made their own rubber sleeves out of a bike inner tube for example and its this that has jammed things up) or the springs have broken?? Once you take it apart I would re-fit with the Bronze top bushes, new seals and definitely get the 6 proper(3 on each stanchion) rubber sleeves. Good luck getting them apart!!! Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Hello David,
Does your Section operate a 'Tool Bank' scheme? If so, it could purchase one of the fork dismantling separator made by Andrew Engineering; This tool is indeed a wonder to behold and use, does the job quickly, cleanly and most important, safely.
Details available on their web site.Edited by - Malleon on 14 Sep 2012 10:27:11 PM