Matchless G15 'Berliner' small capacity fuel tank

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
ManxmanGP

Matchless G15 'Berliner' small capacity fuel tank

Post by ManxmanGP »

Hello I am newbie here and have enjoyed reading the valuable content present on this forum.

My G15 Mk2 was supplied to Berliner Motors for the 1967 model year and I am seriously considering using the small capacity fuel tank on my G15 Mk2 restoration. .
Perhaps most will be familiar with the small "Berliner" tank, it is red, of two gallons capacity, with the plastic badges, and is shown in pictures on this forum by another member doing a great restoration. My frame of course is the "M12" prefix Matchless/AJS two piece DOM frame, and appears to have a lug at rear with hole for mounting the fuel tank at rear.

For the question: is it "more correct" to use the small capacity fuel tank with the tab at rear for this model? Or with the buttons to use the Norton-style rubber strap at rear? I am asking the question in the realm of being a custom because I do understand that the standard issue tank was the larger 3.5 gallon chrome-sided version. TIA for any info.
les ward

Re: Matchless G15 'Berliner' small capacity fuel tank

Post by les ward »

My 1967 G15CS had the small tank with the buttons/ rubber band at the back. You could do about 100 miles on a tankful of petrol, so started looking for a petrol station at about 70 miles. You will find the larger tank more useful in my opinion because of this.
ManxmanGP

Re: Matchless G15 'Berliner' small capacity fuel tank

Post by ManxmanGP »

Thanks for the advice Les, regards, Steve