P11 wheel bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Hotspurr

P11 wheel bearings

Post by Hotspurr »

Hello All,

I am rebuilding a P-11. I am wondering if anyone (including the Club) offers modern style sealed wheel bearings to replace the old taper roller style? It seems to me that maybe Andrew Engineering did at one time (at least for the front wheel), but I don't know if they are still in business.

Cheers, Norm (Ann Arbor)
Stuoyb

Re: P11 wheel bearings

Post by Stuoyb »

If your P11 uses AMC wheels as opposed to Norton wheels, then yes, the club stocks the cassette wheel bearing upgrade.
Hotspurr

Post by Hotspurr »

Thanks for the reply. I looked through the spares list, however, I didn't find a reference to "upgraded" wheel bearing sets. An email to the spares scheme has so far not resulted in a response. I did, however, get a response from Andrew Engineering. They say they produce upgraded cassette wheel bearing assemblies. Being an overseas club member I would like to support the club but I may need some help (like part numbers) to do so.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Norm

I believe the club reference is (looks like stock is low though! :( ):

900659 REPLACEMENT FR WHEEL SPINDLE
Replacement Front Wheel Spindle Assy up to 1962 (1963 CSR)
Price : £97.50 each Other currencies
Price incl. tax : £117.00 Other currencies
WARNING Stock of this part is limited, please phone/email for availability
ranger

Post by ranger »

Hi

Are you really sure that the bearings need replacing? I have rebuilt a number of P11s and have never had to replace the bearings as they do have a reputation for lasting a very very long time, even when raced. Just trying to save you a few bucks.

Best wishes

Tim
Hotspurr

Post by Hotspurr »

Thank you all, for your responses. I like ordering from the Spares Scheme so it is good to know that they carry the upgraded parts. The bike I am re-building apparently had a hard previous life, judging from its overall condition and looks like it spent some time in the weather. Inspection of the bearings revealed the grease was kind of milky and lacking in abundance. Since I intend to keep and ride this bike, investing in new bearings seems like cheap health insurance. :-)

Cheers, Norm