Footrests G15CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Ludwig

Footrests G15CSR

Post by Ludwig »

A fellow member (Andreas) of the German AJS/M forum asked me for photos of the footrest-arrangement of a G15CSR.
As I have a CS, I couldn't help him. So I would like to ask here.
Thanks in advance,
Ludwig
Rob Harknett

Re: Footrests G15CSR

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rider & pillion footrest can be clearly seen in the 1964 parts list.
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.07.05_17h43m14s_001_.png
does this help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Thank you, Rob.
Sorry for the late response, I did't use my computer this weekend.
I think the picture shows the scrambler frame which was also used for the P11 (?).
But I found some photos here in Bacon's book which should be sufficient for him.
Best regards, Ludwig
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

That picture is of the Norton Featherbed frame and not a G15CS or a G15CSR frame. The qustion is what type of G15CSR does your friend own? Is it the cafe racer type from 1965 to 1966, or the later street scramblers from 1967? The footrest arrangements are different for both bikes. The G15CSR cafe racer type uses a rear set footrest arrangement, with a reverse camplate in the gearbox. This reverse camplate is identified by a CSR stamping on the gearbox after the gearbox number. The gear lever was reversed, hence a reverse cam plate. The rear brake pedal was also a different casting to the G15CS models, as the G15CSR was in the style of the AJS 7R, and the footrests were also different to the G15CS models. There was also a special spring produced for the G15CSR's rear brake pedal. There is no pictures in either of the 1965 parts supplement, or the later 1966-1967-1968 Master Parts book. There was a road test of a G15CSR in Classic Bike, September 1982, and Motor Cycle 15 July 1965.The later G15CSR street scramblers from engine and frame numbers 123366 used the footrest from the Matchless G15 Mk2, and also used the thick footrest rubbers. These same footrests were used on the first batch of Norton Atlas Scramblers that were dispatched in October and November 1963. Only the later 1964 G15CS dispatched from engine and frame numbers 108638 used the flip up footrests, and i have identified three types of these flip up footrests.
The G15 frame and the P11 frame are totally different frames. The P11 one is made from Reynolds 531 tubing and therefore much lighter, and the G15 one was a modified G12CS or G12CSR frame, and very heavy when compared with the P11.
The above must drive restorers of these bikes nuts. 8-)
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Thanks, John.
Will post a link to Andreas to your informative answer.
Regards, Ludwig
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The G15CSR used a different type length square rod, and spacer arrangement to the G15CS models. The G15CS's used two of the same size spacers, that are both Cadmium plated, either side of the engine plates, as well a long centre spacer between the engine plates.The G15CSR's square rod only went through the engine plates and never attached to any footrests. These were attached to the rear subframe on the G15CSR models. The G15CSR's rear subframe was also different. It used four holes to attach the footrest, the rear brake pedal, the pillion footrests, and the exhaust pipe, silencer clamp. The G15CSR footrests were alos of the flip up veraty, but differed totally from the G15CS type. The subframe also differed from the G15CS, in the way the hand pump was attached to the frame. The G15CSR was attached underneath the dual seat, and the G15CS, was attached on the rear down tube of the subframe.
The two inner frame spacers on the square through rod for the G15CSR, and the G15Mk2 were different from the G15CS models. These being of a different length, and one was painted black, and the other was painted silver. If these are put back incorrectly then the centre stand may not function correctly. Do not be tempted to file these spacers to make them fit the G15CSR's frame, but lever the frame apart so that they will fit in when the square sectioned rod is inserted into the frame. Also use the correct thick washer 000009, as well as the correct large nut 000002. The above will also go for the AJS version, the 33CSR, and 33Std or 33 Mk2. There was never ever any AJS 33CS made or dispathced. The G15P was a Police version of the G15Mk2, and one of those was sent out as an AJS. The factory parts book will supply all the revelent part numbers for the footrests. 8-)