How many variants of the G15/33/N15?

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
BillTS3

Re: How many variants of the G15/33/N15?

Post by BillTS3 »

I know its difficult to nail down precisely how many of each variant were made, partly due to the fact that in this country, the CS models could be sold and titled as either Norton or Matchless, regardless of the letter stamped on the case. In addition, I've heard that some CSRs have the 'R' stamped above the 'CS' rather than in line - could this be a re-purposing of an export bike to the home market to fill orders?

On top of that, Mike at Walridge claims to have a couple of N15s where the cases were apparently stamped '33', but then re-stamped at the factory to fill Berliner orders.

Once Manganese Bronze took over Norton and Matchless, there seemed to be little desire to continue the Matchless brand.

Any credence to the above suppositions?
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

There was a allot of G15CSR's dispatched to Berliner, and there is pages and pages of them, shown in the dispatch records. As for the G15CS having a letter R added, the G15CS, and the G15CSR have very different sub frames, so they were built with different components. The letter R added may have been, and i have seen it, an attempt to pass of a G15CS as a G15CSR. The frame number and engine numbers would tell the real identity of the bike.
There were some G15CS's and later street scrambler G15CSR's released for the home market, but there were not that many earlier G15CS's dispatched to the home market. One of the reasons being AMC and Norton Matchless division were very focused on the North American market. The over stamping of engine numbers is well known. The Norton brand sold really well in North America the main export market for Plumstead, and the Matchless G80CS was a very big seller in North America. It may have been dropped as sales for Norton's were much higher at that time. 8-)
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

John, here is a challenge for you: Can you show us a picture of the proper G15P with single seat and rack (and possibly police gear)?
I've never seen a picture of one. The picture of a similarly equipped G12 is well known.

I think one of my frames imported from Canada was listed as a G15P in the dispatch records.

-Knut
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

As there were only three G15P's shown as being dispatched, and one is also shown as being listed as an AJS then the G15P is a very rare machine. I do know one did go to Canada. If it is a correct G15P what is the engine number and frame number? As for a picture of a G15P, no i do not have one, but there was some G15Mk2's used by the police and shown in one of the sales brochures. 8-)
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The G15P's that were dispatched went to the following locations. December 1965 to Cuba, and this machine is not shown as a Matchless but as an AJS. One went to Firths, in Toronto, Canada, in December 1964. One went to Belgium, in January 1965. The last two are shown with a letter M in the shop engine number column, so they must have gone out with Matchless badges on their petrol tanks. 8-)
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

John, thanks for interesting info. My records are stored in a container right now and it will be several weeks before I get a chance to look them up. -Knut
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

BillTS3 wrote: Once Manganese Bronze took over Norton and Matchless, there seemed to be little desire to continue the Matchless brand.
The NV subsidiary of Manganese Bronze (aka Dennis Poore) was out to capitalise on the remains if Norton-Matchless. That explains the insignificant investments and the poor development and management effort made later on. Seriously funding two lines of development was out of the question.
No doubt, Norton had a better marketing name in the US - the Matchless name was maybe a bit preposterous in view of the japanese competitetion - and reflected the british counterpart of the jap brands (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki are all surnames of their respective founders).

-Knut