G15 age details

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Rob Harknett

Re: G15 age details

Post by Rob Harknett »

On original advert and sales cat. artwork you can see where changes have been made. But I guess if some parts were too complicated too alter, they never bothered. In period trade books I have, that give start numbers for frame and engine for all British marques. Also major changes made for the year, it does draw attention to the fact, engines may overlap. So towards the end of the production year, you could get an engine built for the following year. Likewise you could get an engine of the previous production year. Frame numbers should be true for the year. Only the factory records would show the exact dispatch date. Information of vehicle numbers given to the Trade book publishers, by manufactures, was intended as a Guide, the word being used on the book cover title. With the lack of surviving factory records, either factory records, or information within these books is equally excepted by the DVLA in UK for dating.

Correct dating is critical when working on a vehicle. I brought a "new" Russian Lada car a few years ago. When the cam belt broke, the repaired engine went for about 10 miles then started making a hell of a noise. I discovered the oil sensor had been disconnected. So the garage mechanic had some explaining to do. The garage owner, a friend sorted it out. It was discovered, the car was actually produced two years before I brought it new. It sitting in factory and GB compounds before shipping and finale fittings made in GB for sale. The mechanic had failed to check the production year by it's vin plate. He fitted the wrong head gasket , which blocked oilways to the OHC shaft.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I am now a paid up member of the club!
Pictures of the bike will be posted shortly.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Welcome, Martyn,
And best wishes for a successful restoration job!
Best regards.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I am looking at getting the wheels rebuilt. On my G15 mk2 the front and rear has full width norton hubs and both front and rear rims are the WM3 size. Is that correct? I would have thought that the front would be thinner, perhaps a WM2. They are both 18" diameter.
Does anyone know the correct fittment? Also there looks to be no offset on either the front or rear hubs. Is that also correct?
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Hi Martyn,
I think you need the help of the Administrator as you are still not shown as a member on the forum.
Sam
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Samuel
many thanks for letting me know.
I thought it was strange that it didn't show under my name.
I have been sent the Jampot magazine and I paid the additional £10 for the spares discount scheme.
I have emailed them and will wait for the response.
regards
Martyn
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Martyn wrote:I have emailed them and will wait for the response.
Hi Martyn, you're registered on here with a different username than you have on the membership system - so the two parts can't be linked!!
I'll email with the options we need to take to resolve this.
Corners like a Lego man