G15 age details

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Martyn

G15 age details

Post by Martyn »

HI all
New to the site so please bear with me.
I have just bought a Matchless G15 in a bit of a state (no seat, Headlight and fitted with Mikuni carbs) rusty but fairly complete.
I am sure I am going to be trawling through most of the posts on here once the bike gets here. currently being shipped from the states.
My first question is the age of the bike. it has matching numbers which are 113210. The bike currently has the large chrome tank, low exhausts and the large (what i call ) early style mudguards.
I know that there are one or two of you out there that know these bikes very well. so any information greatly appreciated.

I will be carrying out a full restoration of the bike and am in 2 minds about keeping it with the current bodywork or changing it to small tank high pipe style!!

I look forward to your comments and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: G15 age details

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure some G15 owners will be offering advice Marty,
You may however consider joining the club, you will eventually need to get the bike officially dated by the clubs dating officer, to register the bike. You will also perhaps wants some parts, so also join the club spares discount scheme.
You will then have full access to the club website, for the period of your membership. As a guest you have limited access and for a limited time period only.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I believe that the G15Roy is 58 , but as far as the motorbike goes have a look at this

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/history/atlas-hybrids-1
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Many thanks g80csp11. Your link has confirmed that the bike is 1965-67. It still leaves me a bit confused as to whether it is a MK11 or not. Mine has the deep mudguards and the large chrome tank.
I am hoping that someone will know more accurately the date and type.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi Rob Harknett
As soon as I have the bike in my possession I will of course be joining the club. Parts and advice I am sure will be needed.
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

A really interesting article it goes a little way in explaining why my 1966 g3 , crashed in mid seventies and in boxes till I bought it two years ago came with external fork springs . Keith .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Coming from the States, the bike may not be as the home market models, the distributors in the states even had there owmn sales cats. for them. Time is early yet, but when the bike arrives, you first will have to decide, do you keep the bike in its export style or restore to the home market spec.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Thanks Rob.
I will make the decision once I have the bike here. I would just like to know a bit more about it before I decide and I know that there are some experts amongst you.
This is by no means the first bike I have restored, having done many from the 1970's back to the early 30's, just want to decide how original to keep this one + how I want it to look when finished.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Your bike is a 1965 May dispatched Matchless G15 Mk2. So it would have the big petrol tank, and the bigger heaver mudguards as a stanfdard fitment. Your G15Mk2 was part of a large batch of these models that went to the Berliner Motor Corporation in 1965. It may have also have had the export Atlas high handle bars, as the Berliner sale brochure from that time shows them fitted with them. There was also road test in two of the magazines on sale in England at the time and one was also published in America. One in Motorcycle Mechanics, and the other in the Motorcycle, or Motorcycling. This model or the earlier ones came in either black, Cardenal Red, or Candy Aplle Red paint work. There is a supplement pamflet for the 1965, and also two parts books were issued for this model from 1966 onwards. There is a 1964 parts book also, but your one will have later modified parts on it. The G15 Mk2 was often used for sidecar work. Your G15Mk2 will have a Lucas K2F magneto and a pair of Amal Monobloc carbs with one float chamber chopped of and a wedged shaped air cleaner.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi John
I knew someone out there would have some more information. You are absolutely correct about the bars and colour was I believe candy red.
it was listed as a 1966 so I guess this was when it was sold.
As the seat and headlight is missing do you know what the originals would have been and if they are still available?
Also the tank is completely chrome. Would this have painted in any way? perhaps a red centre panel?
Don't know if you take phone calls or have a private email address but would love to discuss with you in more detail when the bike arrives. (due around 21/4/14)