G15 age details

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
John Donne

Re: G15 age details

Post by John Donne »

The engine number on the bike that you have just bought will tell you what it is. Some of the earlier G15 MK2's were stamped as G15CS/113201. The later ones had G15/113201/M2. The frame and engine number should match, and the gearbox will or should be stamped with an MA then the number. Also you should hope that your primary chaincase has the later modifed cases for the extra hexigan stud that was added between the engine plate and the inner cover, to stop the inner primary chaincase from moving about on the mainshaft of the gearbox. 8-)
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

John
You are obviously very clued up on these bikes. I will check the areas that you have pointed out and let you know regarding the engine number. I do know that the frame and engine numbers are the same. I am assuming that with some engineering skills, the additional "support" for the inner chain case can be added if its not already there. :|
oldandmatchless

Post by oldandmatchless »

Marty:

I am currently completing restoration of a 1967 G15 MK2 (registered as a 67, but I think manufactured in 1966). Has been a task as I started with a very complete machine that was rusted beyond belief. Hindsight being what it is, I probably should not have attempted to restore!

My serial number is shown on the engine case as G15 M2/119xxx.

I am the third owner of the bike and have spoken to the previous two owners to gather info on the bike.

The previous owner had bobbed the fenders, but otherwise it is fairly original.

I was fortunate to find an original set of fenders. They ARE deeply valanced and have a heavy rib down the middle. Different from the fenders on a G12 (which I think were actually Atlas fenders) and although look similar are in fact very different! The front fender mounting brackets are peculiar to just this model.

The tank is a large chrome tank which is painted candy apple red through the center with silver lining. Even though this bike has Matchless badges, it is mostly a Norton. The seat is the same seat as on my 1964 and 1966 Matchless G12CSRs.

My bike originally came with what I call the "cigar" mufflers. I was lucky to find an NOS pair.

User "John Donne" is very knowledgeable about these bikes and I'm glad he posted in reply to your query.

I can provide some photos and info if needed. I also have corresponded with several other owners of the MK2 that could be a source of info if needed.

Good luck on your project.

Regards,

Rick T
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Rick
many thanks for taking the time to comment. I am still waiting for the bike to arrive! Have now been told it should dock on 25/4/14. With any luck it will be in my garage/workshop by the start of May.
Of course I would be very interested in seeing photos of your bike.
I am sure I will need help and advice as the restoration takes place. The bike is quite rusty in places (wheels and frame) but nothing that cant be overcome. I believe it has only had one previous owner and I am waiting to get some pictures of it when it was first purchased.
It certainly wont be the most challenging bike I have restored as the 1930's ones I have undertaken have required one off parts manufacture.
Regards
oldandmatchless

Post by oldandmatchless »

Martyn:

Below is a picture of what I started with. Will try and upload a picture of current state in a couple of weeks(want to get a little further along first!).

So far I have rebuilt everything on the bike. New wheels, spokes and tires. Rebuilt engine and trans. Newly chromed fenders and other chrome parts. New seat, exhaust, etc. Just too much to list!

Im too scared to add up all the invoices!!

Rick

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi Rick
the bike arrived at the docks today, so I should get it some time next week.
Your bike looked more rusty than mine but at least you had a head light and part of a seat!!
I will upload a picture of mine when I get it as a starting point.
I am still not sure if I will keep it original with the large mudguards or lighten the looks a bit.
I would really like to see a picture of where you have got to with yours.
I have been into bikes all of my life. but I had a break when my son started racing, (he is in Almeria right now on a 3 day track day and fastest of everyone there) in the British Superbikes and I had to mechanic. It cost me a fortune for 8 years but I don't regret a minuet of it.
Now I am a lot older and one heart attack later it is time to slow down and enjoy some of the British relics.
I want to get a little nest egg in the form of a bike collection for retirement so will be looking for a few more bikes, probably from the USA.
Commando and Triumph T120 as a start.
Still before I get carried away I suppose I should get started on this one first
I look forward to seeing yours in all its glory.
If you have a contact number and fancy a chat let me know.
regards
Martyn
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Get a copy of Roy Bacon's book, Norton Twin Restoration, as it has pictures of the G15 Mk2's from the early ones in 1964 up to the last ones in 1968. There is an index with specifications and colours for the G15 Mk2 models. There is also the Roy Bacon book, Norton Twins, that will have pictures and specifications for the G15 Mk2's CSR, and the CS models.The Berliner Motor Corporation also issued allot of factory related brochures that will show all the different specifications. There were also period road tests that can also be found and used for your restoration. The G15 Mk2 did not have a chromed petrol tank, but was painted, with two silver painted lighening strips either side on top of the petrol tank. The only chromed parts were the wheel rims, mudguards, and head lamp rim.The oil tank had a minimum and maximum oil level, and an oil recommendation transfer, placed between them, on the heat shield cover. This was attached with two chrome screws, and fibre washers. There were two washers p/n 000012 that were placed between the oil tank and the heat shield cover, or underneath the heat shield cover. This was to fasilitate the use of cold air to cool the oil tank, and also not burn your leg. A very small point, if one looks very closely at the parts book. The mudguards are particular to this model, but it could very easily be turned in to a G15CS model, by getting the chromed steel front and rear mudguards, the scrambler handel bars,sump guard and clips, and the 2.2 gallon petrol tank. The dual seat was the same one used on the G15CS, N15CS, AJS 33 Std and the G15 Mk2 from 1964 to 1965; or 1963 if you also include the 200 Norton Atlas Scramblers that were dispatched from October and November of that year. The dual seat remained the same on the G15 Mk2's the same right up till tha last ones made and dispatched. The G15CS, and N15CS scrambler models, used three different dual seats from 1963 to 1968. 8-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I just noticed an comment about a bike registered in 1967 but thought to be manufacture in 1966. If so the bike would have t had been manufactured before September 1966 to be a 1966 model. When the year of a bike is considered, we are talking about the model year, the model year ran from Sept 1st to August 31st. So you could have a 1967 model registered late in 1966. The model year ran from Sept. so a new model range would or hope to be ready for the motor cycle show at London late in the year about 1st week in November for bikes. Cars followed the same manufacture model year.
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

My G15CS (G15CS/1235xx) is a 1967 production model, dispatch date of July, 1967, but titled as a 1968.

My Ranger 750 is titled as a 1968, but with a dispatch date of 15 October, 1968, should have been titled as a 1969. Besides, Rangers were intended as 1969 models.

Regarding brochures, remember that the copy of some of these is produced months before the actual release of the bikes, and the pictures may not be true representatives of the machine described.

I have a 1967 G15CS brochure (the simple folded flyer with the pixelated rider on bike on the front under 'MATCHLESS G15CS', the left side shown on the inside under a list of specifications in the center, and a quick list of specs on the back cover). This brochure lists the bike as coming with Amal Concentrics, but the picture shows the bike with monoblocs.

Norton-Villiers produced an ad for 1968 which showed either the G15CS/P11A or N15CS/P11A, with the only difference being the reference to Norton or Matchless in the ads and the badge on the fuel tanks. In both of these ads, the P11A is a P11, as evidenced by the high pipes, solo seat, and stamped license bracket/tail light assembly, rather than the low pipes, dual seat, and cast aluminum tail light assembly of a P11A
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Many thanks to all of you. The information you all have is extremely helpful. John your knowledge of part numbers and age related differences is brilliant.
I cant wait to get the bike next week and start on the strip down and rebuild.
I will take photo's and post them here so you can see what I am starting with.
It would be good to know what you all think regarding keeping it totally original or changing the look more towards the "scrambler" version.
As it has the deep mudguards and large chrome tank, I suspect these would have a reasonable resale value if I decided to change them.
regards