Help identifying a frame..

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Verbatim

Re: Help identifying a frame..

Post by Verbatim »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.03_11h20m44s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.05.03_11h17m33s_001_.png
I only have a 64 CSR maybe not the correct parts list, but in the parts lists I have I see quite different frames for 1961 to 1965. New frame dating features are, 1963 new rear sub frame. 1964 shorter rear sub frame.
Erm that bottom frame is a featherbed frame not a G12 or G15. As far as I know G12 and G15 are the same frame with different mounts, although looking at the photos of two I'm looking at they look identical.
bjork

Post by bjork »

Yes, definitely a Norton frame in the second pic. Edit; Just took a quick look and the only difference I can see with the front frame lugs is that they are reversed-the bolt holes for the plates are spaced wider apart. The position looks about the same. I'm sure that has been stated here before by the people who really know. also the steering head bearing were mentioned earlier, they are norton types and the top bearing housing has an extra lug externally that is to engage with the steering anti-theft lock, that isn't present on my Model 31 frame. ( It might be on all Norton forked AJS/Matchless though!)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Verbatim

Post by Verbatim »

bjork wrote:Yes, definitely a Norton frame in the second pic. Edit; Just took a quick look and the only difference I can see with the front frame lugs is that they are reversed-the bolt holes for the plates are spaced wider apart. The position looks about the same. I'm sure that has been stated here before by the people who really know. also the steering head bearing were mentioned earlier, they are norton types and the top bearing housing has an extra lug externally that is to engage with the steering anti-theft lock, that isn't present on my Model 31 frame. ( It might be on all Norton forked AJS/Matchless though!)
Bjork thanks for this, so visually the G12 and G15 frames are the same, just when you get close there are differences. I'm a little confused about the head bearings? The seat for the bearings are different or is it only the bearings themselves that differ.
It's automatic - happens within 24 hours of joining the club membership system assuming you are using the same username on the membership system as here!
:)
I used the same username, but I am still not a member here for some reason? I may have buggered the system up by first registering on the forum then signing up for membership a few days later. :(
Janet

Post by Janet »

Verbatim wrote:I used the same username, but I am still not a member here for some reason? I may have buggered the system up by first registering on the forum then signing up for membership a few days later. :(
This happens sometimes. Send a PM to the webmaster and he'll sort it. It may not be instantly, though, because sometimes he has the nerve to take holidays.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
Dear ?
Now to see how this is solved ?
Good Whit monday Morning to all ,hopling for a WARM SUNNY day in the East ?
New Battery to be fitted then Off Burning the "RU???R"
Well Smelling like it with Diesel Smoke ? :lol:
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Motorclcling and Scootering .
Insured with PETER JAMES.
r w webb
bjork

Post by bjork »

Bjork thanks for this, so visually the G12 and G15 frames are the same, just when you get close there are differences. I'm a little confused about the head bearings? The seat for the bearings are different or is it only the bearings themselves that differ.

I think both the seat and the bearings are different. The AJS/M bearing race in the frame is rounded at the back and is self centralising in the frame. They are not an interferance fit like most others. When I built my first G15 up I used bearings supplied by Norvil (cos he said they were special ;) ) but they were only standard 6205 or something ordinary like that with rubber seals, so any bearing shop will do once you know the dimensions. They are the same size I think as used on the commandos?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

here's a picture of a late G15CS frame, if that will help: