G15 Parts manual

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Verbatim

G15 Parts manual

Post by Verbatim »

Does anyone know where I can find detailed parts manuals and information for the G15 series bikes that I can study?

I'm happy to pay for them, but free, digital and fast is always nice.
iansoady

Re: G15 Parts manual

Post by iansoady »

Have you looked in Christian's Archive? http://www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/ch ... rchive.htm
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
bjork

Post by bjork »

As Ian says above, Christians archives has them. You can still get paper copies too, the club spares scheme supplied mine some time ago and they are available elsewhere e.g. Norvil and the like. They are actually labelled up for Atlas and the G15/N15 details are at the back of each book.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

There was never a G15/N15 manaul or handbook produced specifically for these models. Only three parts books, plus a parts pamflet issued in 1965, a handbook, the P106P, and a workshop manual. There was also an American issued or two of them issued with different coloured covers, with the Clymer name, but they were the offical, AMC, Norton Matchless produced workshop manuals. This covers the Atlas engine and gearbox, the front fork differences, the swinging arm, and clutch. There is also the Haynes Dominator workshop manual. There is also the America produced Chiltons and the Clymer manuals. Do not look for a parts book with exploded drawings for the G15, as one was never produced. The Norton workshop manual only shows the earlier scrambler forks and not the later road type with the internal spring forks.
The P11 and the G15 cried out for a good pictorial parts book, and workshop manual. The G15 is not that hard a bike to work on. 8-)
Verbatim

Post by Verbatim »

Thanks everyone will have a look at Christians archives when I get a chance.
Do not look for a parts book with exploded drawings for the G15, as one was never produced.
I was after one that would basically show me what everything looked like and the parts, also one with all the bolt sizes and one off parts would be great, I've previously worked on complete 70s Jap bike restorations what I'd usually do is print off the exploded diagrams match the parts lists to find the bolts required and then do a complete write up on what is needed (via tally chart) then go out and buy them all in one go, I then have a diagram telling me where each individual bolt goes.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The G15, N15 parts books also have mistakes in them. All the bolt sizes as a part number are there and where they are all meant to go, but they are all shown as a part number in the text. Triumph and may be BSA were the only companies that put their part number hardward sizes in their workshop manuals. I did actually work out all the nut, bolt, washer, fibre washer, screw, stud, and spacer dimentions, for the P11, and the G15 series and it is at the back of my P11 book, and it took me a very long time to do this. AMC, and the Norton Matchless Divison was more concerned about making bike's, making money, paying the wage bill, and selling the bikes. For the bolt size look for the part number, and the spares scheme may have the size in their book that they issue of what is available from their stock. Even the later 1970's models of British manufactor did not have brilliant handbook, parts books and workshop manuals. They did get much better as the years went on. Even the 1970 Commando Roadster, was an updated version of the 1968 parts book, and this also went for the workshop manual. The better pictorial parts book for the Commando only came out in 1971. What you want and are looking for did not ever exsist and was never ever printed. The same can be said for all the P11 series of bikes that were made from 1967 to 1968. All these bikes cried out of a good workshop manual and handbook, but the money to do this was just on available to do so.
For a book that incorporates both the handbooks and the workshop manual, there is Norton Service and Overhaul Manual by F Neil. It was issued by Lodgemark Press, the ISBN number is 0 850770 41 6. This book is still available from Norton parts outlets. It is a copy of the official released handbooks and workshop manuel's by Norton. It was not written by F. Neill who was the AMC service manager, but his name was added to the book. There is a picture on page 105 of a G15 engine unit being taken out of the frame. The scrambler forks, and the G15 swinging arm is also covered in this book, as well as the engine, gearbox and clutch.
I have asked many America ex dealers who sold the G15, N15 in from new in North America and i was told the same thing about the handbooks and workshop manuals. The Berliner Motor Corporation, in New York, the then main distributor for Norton, and Norton Matchless in the USA, issued service releases or up dates concerning the Norton, and Matchless models that they inported in the 1960's, and the 1970's.
The parts books for the G15, N15 series were issued as follows. 1964, A5 size, 1965 small white updated pamflet, Master parts book for 1966,67,68, of A5 size, and an A4 Master parts book, for 1967, 1968. 8-)
Verbatim

Post by Verbatim »

iansoady wrote:Have you looked in Christian's Archive? http://www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/ch ... rchive.htm
Ouch I just tried this site and it said it used up it's monthly bandwith! :o
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Just tried it and got on OK!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Use the actual archives webpage. www.archives.jampot.dk
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It is very easy to discover a large number of fitting sizes ( nuts, bolts, screws etc. ) Many of the parts have been in use as long ago as the 1920's. For pt. no's Part numbers 000001 to 001000 delete the front zero's and replace number 1 to 1000 with STD ( for example STD1 to STD1000 ) now check the STD prefixed part number in say WD 41 G3L Contract 1050 parts list. in which the sizes are given 5/8" x 26 tpi for example. For bearings, check bearing parts list that give there own pt. no. and AMC, the makers give bearing dimensions. Likes wise for pistons, valves, rings etc. All parts list referred to are in the archives. That's a start for the most common item sizes. As John states, it states it will take a lot of leg work, in particular once past the easier stage I have suggested, to discover more part sizes.