Identification help wanted

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
HTH

Identification help wanted

Post by HTH »

Hello, I am from Norway and new to the forum. A couple of years ago I bought a hybrid 750 - maybe more hybrid than the factory originally planned! It was imported from a dealer in England registered as a 1964 Norton N15. However, I think the frame might be earlier and the motor from 1967. Can anybody help in identifying the year and model the components come from?
Frame A62816 stamped vertically down the left downtube
Motor:G15 CS/124257
Gearbox: P11 19999.

Regards,

Harald, Norway
clive

Re: Identification help wanted

Post by clive »

The dating officer at email Dating@jampot.com may be able to help. There is a small charge for details from the register if they exist.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
les ward

Re: Identification help wanted

Post by les ward »

I think you are right for the engine being from a 1967 G15CS. The gearbox is from a P11 which also fits into the number range for 1967.

The frame number is much earlier and would fit a 1958 model, being produced late 1957 or early 1958. Could be from any model being produced then (including the US only first versions of the 650cc twin).

As Clive says only the factory records will have exact details. You can look it up online for five pounds. Otherwise look for clues in your frame such as single/twin headsteady/CS or CSR pillion footrests.

Hope this helps.

PS. Have just seen that the frame number is on the front LEFT downtube, where it should be on the front right downtube, so may be suspect, especially if it is a later twin downtube frame.