I think its a 1965 G15CS

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Binduss

I think its a 1965 G15CS

Post by Binduss »

Hi all,
I'm new to the club and this G15CS which I purchased off eBay from a bloke down south who had it imported from Michigan, Detroit. I have no background info on it other than what I was told which was its a 1965 Matchless G15CS that hasn't been started for many years.
I was told it didn't having matching numbers (found out it does - 109024) and no spark (I have spark now by cleaning the points with a toothbrush and wd40).
I have contacted the dating officer and payed my fee but before I receive any info as I don't know when that will be I was wondering if anyone had any inkling on this barn find?
I was also wondering if anyone could identify the parts that aren't original (I think the mud guards, bar, seat and headlamp aren't) for this bike and maybe what bike they are from as I'm sure there are quiet a few from different bikes.
Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bjork

Re: I think its a 1965 G15CS

Post by bjork »

Hi Binduss, and welcome to the club. The dating officer is away at the Denmark Rally so you may have to wait a bit longer than normal for a reply. I agree with your thoughts about what is not original there, it does look to be mostly G15CS. As well as the bits you mention, the carb is wrong, looks like a Keihin perhaps. Among the rarer missing bits are the mudguards and fork shroud/headlamp ears. Not too difficult to get suitable looking replacements though. So congratulations! It does look like a good project to make an excellent bike. I've had a G15CS and now have a Mk2 G15 which is nice and sensible but not quite the street hooligan the CS wwas. :)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Binduss

Post by Binduss »

Thank you Bjork for the info and you're reply, it sounds like I won't see anything from the dating officer for some time.
I was told by a friend that it's a mikuni carb. All that is written on it is MIC IT1 60 and made in Japan so I'm not sure.
Do you know if this model came with an advance/retard for the magneto? There is a advance/retard housing attached to the front brake pull on the handlebar that has the little lever missing from it and the Mag doesn't seem to have anywhere for the cable to attach.
I'm sure who ever owned this bike in the past watched the movie Easy Rider and thought "I know"!
Time to make it original I think.
bjork

Post by bjork »

That made me think-I was about to say yes you need an A/R lever, then I checked my manuals (online version downloaded from Christian's archives) and find that it would originally have had an auto A/R sprocket in the timing chest. Both my G15's had/have electronic ignition so never had to deal with the question on those two!
If you wanted, you can get electronic magnetos that look like the originals or with a different housing you can use a Boyer or Pazon battery powered ignition. All three good options if you don't recon the original magneto. Just personal preferences.

Not sure how to post a link to the archives and think it can be a little hard to find sometimes, so if you want I could email the docs I have to you? If so send me your email address via a private message rather than listing it in the forum and I'll send them to you.

Agreed, the previous owner of that bike had a Peter Fonda moment there...
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I think I done this one just before I left so the info is on its way.
Roy
Binduss

Post by Binduss »

Awesome Roy, I will keep an eye out for it.
Thank you.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Link to Archives, good luck with the bike.

Peter

http://archives.jampot.dk
Binduss

Post by Binduss »

Thank you Peter.
Bjork sent me a few manuals as well so that should see me in good stead......I hope!
matchless1958Ajs16ms

Post by matchless1958Ajs16ms »

Nice bike..i wish you bought with good price
Binduss

Post by Binduss »

I think I did get it for a decent price but shipping to Cairns did help! :cry: