RH Rear Engine Plate

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

RH Rear Engine Plate

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Still trying to get my head around the basics of a G15 and seeking more advice please.

My RH rear engine plate has two spacers tack welded to it at the frame rear down tube attachment points:
RH Engine Plate.png
Are these spacers correct?

The plate is also distorted inwards where it meets the gearbox top attachment:
RH Engine Plate bend .png
This distortion looks like it has been introduced by the previous restorer but I'm not sure he was correct.

There is a spacer, (030250), listed for the top gearbox attachment stud - can anyone help with the location and thickness of this spacer as mine is missing?

There's no spacer listed for the bottom stud however, which has the same gearbox lug width :? :?

And all of this has an impact on the location of the rear loop stud spacer, referred to in a previous post :roll: :roll:

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: RH Rear Engine Plate

Post by ajscomboman »

Welcome to the wonderful world of the G15! That spacer you asked me about that sits on top of the tool box directly under the rear subframe cross member, i can't help with as I'm missing it as well. That's the second spacer I've found to be missing but on the good news front all my G/box ones are there. I'll try and establish the sizes for you but If I'm honest I think you're smart enough to work out exactly what's required for it to all line up.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

I spent this afternoon installing the engine plates and trying to rationalise the alignment in respect of the 3/16" spacer on the rear loop bottom stud - all good fun :beer:

Just need some guidance as to whether the RH plate is correct, (should it be bent?), and dimension / location of the gearbox spacer.

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

deleted list as parts book has different spacers numbers on P11 so obviously different

my G15 has flat plates as far as i can see with it assembled
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:deleted list as parts book has different spacers numbers on P11 so obviously different

my G15 has flat plates as far as i can see with it assembled
Agreed, my one's are also flat.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Peter / Rob

Do you have the two spacers between the plate and the lug, (ringed in the photo above)?

Do you have a spacer, probably between the plate and the gearbox upper lug?

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

G15 gerabox upper spacer .jpg
yes the RH plate has the spacer welded on just like yours
also shown is the upper gear box spacer ( not welded on )

sorry for poor quality pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Excellent Peter - Thank you very much.

It's beginning to make sense now.

I have pressed the plate back to flat so one of this afternoon's jobs will be to turn up a spacer.

I'll also fit the footrest bar and spacers which, along with the centre stand may give me a better indication of where the spacer on the lower rear loop stud is best installed.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mine's the same, I'm reassembling the g/box today so will try to get a clearer picture.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

If you read this in time would you be able to measure the RH and LH footrest bar spacers? (the ones that position the engine plates).

Regards Mick