G15 cylinder head and oiling

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
StuartN

Post by StuartN »

My G15 has note been usedmuch recently. On starting it now blows oil out of the breather. Suspecting a damaged bore I attempted to remove the cylinder head. Not easy even with the exhaust rockers out! There was not enough clearance to get the push rods far enough up and I ended up removing the head and barrel together. It can't go back together the same way!
The piston, rings and bore all look OK, very little wear. The bores look polished and have a slight a brownish tinge.
Suggestions please; should I just re-ring it? Is it possible to get the cylinder head back on without removing the whole engine/gearbox assembly?
itma

Post by itma »

I'm assumimg this is the Atlas engine?
if not its a useless reply.

it was normal practice to remove the head ad barrel together on these Norton engines, in fact it was easier and quicker, I have no experience with the G15 set up but would assume the same on it.
worth while glaze busting the bore if you re- ring it.Only worry if there is any scoring on bore or piston