Legless spiders

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
bjork

Legless spiders

Post by bjork »

quote:
I recently fitted a new spider and rubbers. Trying to compress the thick 'uns to insert the thinnys the tool (clutch plate plus handle) just buckled and folded up. I cut a sliver off the thickys to get them in.

That's exactly what happened to my clutch holding tool as well. As a point of interest, where did you buy your spider from Alan? and was it new, or just new to this bike?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Biscuit
Deceased

Legless spiders

Post by Biscuit »

From JSL, new plus the rubbers.

To try and compress the rubbers I eventually had a ratchet tie-down hooked around the tool handle and around the bed of the lathe, it was when the lathe shifted, and it's a big one, that I decided to cut a sliver off of the large rubbers. Against my instincts, but what else to do?

legg

Legless spiders

Post by legg »

Bolt your lathe down
Charles

Legless spiders

Post by Charles »

Trace round the larger rubber with a pencil on the end grain of a piece of timber. Chisel/Stanley knife off the excess so the end is slightly smaller than the rubber.
Fit the three smaller ones
Use a widebaded screwdriver to ease in all the edges on the first large rubber.
Then use the drift with a wooden mallet/rubber hammer etc.
Curse as all stacked items on the bench head downwards in a random 'never to be found again' fashion.
Smile when you realise how easy it was to replace the rubbers.
Don't tell anyone how well this works.

Seriously, I have struggled doing these in the past but it took ten minutes, most of which was making up the drift.
GSAX1

Legless spiders

Post by GSAX1 »

Here is how they did it at the Triumph factory. It's about half-way through the film, at 5 mins.

Michael
itma

Legless spiders

Post by itma »

Being a smart arse I have to say I never had trouble fitting these, and over the years I did quite a few.
I had an old clutch center with a bit of 1/4in bar welded to the back, a clutch plate with a very substantial tube handle, welded in two places to the old clutch plate.
Its necessary to have a solid work bench tho. and a pot of vaseline come in handy.
But lately the worst instance was the clutch rubbers on the lately repaired G2, which need a deft trim with a scalpel.

Oh and a 10 ton bench press came in handy
Biscuit
Deceased

Legless spiders

Post by Biscuit »

Excellent video that Michael, but why do they have to drown out the natural sounds with music?. I am sure if we all had a geared down capstan operated thingy to rotate the spider it would be a doddle.

Charles, I have done several of these with no problem, but the last lot of rubbers were definitely larger or harder. It would appear that Ken had the same problem.Edited by - Biscuit on 16 May 2008 11:59:48 AM

itma

Legless spiders

Post by itma »

I'm more concerned over being kept in the dark re this B52 stuff, come on what is it?
Biscuit
Deceased

Legless spiders

Post by Biscuit »

Bjork said he didn't know the answer to his clutch problem, I said B52, meaning replace the box with a Burman B52.

itma

Legless spiders

Post by itma »

and there was me thinking you had some fancy rubber compostion in mind