G15CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
John Donne

G15CSR

Post by John Donne »

There were also various road tests done on those first Commando's both in England and in North America. The bike was covered in Mick Duckworths book, all about the Commando, so it would be worth you buying a copy. There is also Cycle World Road tests for Norton published by Brooklands. These were or are readily available, so you should not have that much trouble tracking copies for your bike down. There are also many adverts from Berliner in the American mags, as well as English both from Norton, as well as the dealers selling them, in publications at that time. I also have a wall chart form Norton Villiers that gives all the service literature, as well as the complete edition of the factory service notes sent out to dealers from 1968 onwards. These were sent to dealers when the new modifications to issues were needed. At the time no one wanted any of these items, as they were concidered just old British bike junk. I stopped allot of this literature going in the local bin. Hind sight is always 20 20 vision, but back then i understood that in time all this literature would be very usefull, well one day it would be.
GOLDSTAR

G15CSR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi John
Yes I do have the complete machine restored it about, crickey lets see ,15 =20 years ago, has a red tank gel coated I think round tank badges, has'nt run now for about 13 of those years I believe the primary case is from a later version and its fitted with upswept peashooter pipes. Kind regards
John Donne

G15CSR

Post by John Donne »

Your Commando was dispatched to a dealer, Schweisco, in Kent, on 2/7/1968. The guy that wrote the dealers name down, did not make it that legable when it is read. If you look at any of the magazines that were issued at around that the time of 1968 to 1969 they may have advertised in one of the weekly magazines, or MM or Morotcycle Sport at that time. The last Commando in that series was 128635, then a blank till 128646 for the P11A Ranger 75o's. So that means there was a gap of 11 numbers before the next series of bikes. The earlier or first series of the Commando had a much more round primary chaincase, that the later version of it. The first of those models, had the Atlas type silencers, and the low exhaust pipes. These exhaust pipes i suspect, along with those silencers would be available form Norvil. A parts book of A5 size was also issued for that early model, with the address of 44 Plumstead Road on the bottom left hand side. It also has photos of the the parts, and it was one of the better parts books to come out of Plumstead, as the other Norton issued parts were just plain rubbish. Look on page 25 as this shows the primary chaincase. That parts book was the first one issued by Norton's that gave proper pictures or photos of the actual parts. It was also easier to use and actually find the part numbers. Some of those other AMC parts books compared to the BSA and Triumph eqvivilent of that decade the 1960's were just plan crap. Look at a BSA A10 parts book, and there is a huge difference between any thing AMC ever issued. Sad by very true.
GOLDSTAR

G15CSR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi John, thanks for all that, Schweisco I take it thats Kent USA? I live in Kent U.K there is no place I recognise in this county similar to that name when I got the bike it was in a box of bits so we got all we could to build it up it came with a set of peashooters so I just got matching front pipes and fittings, it was,nt 'til later we found it should have earlier ss type exhausts not upswept. once again thanks for the info. kind regards
John Donne

G15CSR

Post by John Donne »

That was Kent as in England, so there is a dealer in Kent who sold Nortons in the 1960's and 1970's. The way it is written it can not be read that well, but it does seem that your Commando never went that far from where it was built, and then sold. If it was dispatched to America, it would show either Berliner New York, or NV LA on the West Coast. Norton Villiers was the distributor on the west coast, and Berlier had the east coast. NV actualy got rid of ZDS Motors, which was run by Bob Blair. Dennis Poore was not much liked out in that part of the world. Brian Slark worked for NV in California, or Durate. See if in those back magazines, if there is a Kent dealer with a similar name you will then know where, and who. I have a year of 1968 and 1969 Motorcycle News, that they did a whole edition concerning the first Commando's, so i shall see if i can find it, as it may have that dealer in there.
33CSR

G15CSR

Post by 33CSR »

John,

You may have already checked but I noticed that Jampot Spares have 031573 Rear Brake Pedal listed.

Cheers

Roger

PS If you manage to track down the parts required to mount it on the frame let me know please - I may replace my improvised set up!!
John Donne

G15CSR

Post by John Donne »

If there is a call for that brake pedal spindle, i could see about getting some made, as i have a factory original part, at is a NOS item. May be Domiracer or Accessory Mart may still have that item in stock as it is where i got my one from. It may be worth a try. They also have, or had all the footrest pedal parts as seperate items, under their part numbers.