1966 G15CSR Fork Crown Assembly ?

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Good day folks!

I am restoring the subject bike that has been stored since 1985. Its last incarnation was as a poor-man's chopper....so the relative state of assembly and parts originality is something of a mystery at times.

The bike was not cut or welded so I elected to take it on. I have done 3 previous Hybrids a P11, P11A and Ranger restoration from the frame up starting with a varying degree of parts in the baskets each came in....so I am not a complete idiot with the bikes

My current problem is with the Norton Roadholder Fork Crown/Triple assembly on the AMC frame. It consists of the following:

1 Lower pinch triple and stem unit

1 Flat Washer at the stem base

1 Bearing Race Cone sitting on the washer

18 1/4 inch ball bearings

at the other (top) end I have:

1 matching/corresponding Bearing Race Cone

18 1/4 inch ball bearings

1 flat washer

1 Fork Race Adjuster Nut (long sleeve end going into the bearing race/short stub presenting to the top triple crown)

1 Flat washer

No dust cover

Top Triple Crown or "clip" with the stem-top nut

Assembly went fine and looks great the races fit nicely in the headstock, the Adjuster nut turned down properly and flush against the flat washer on the bearing race and holds everything together nicely

Everything looks good so I install the top triple crown/clip and screw it all the way down

The problem is that the "correct" headlamp ears simply will not fit between the upper and lower triple...by a LARGE margin

I have the upper triple turned down to be flush against the Fork Race Adjuster Nut

Am I missing a sleeve or collar that provides the correct spacing/distancing either at the top or the bottom of the stem??

Am I working with the wrong Triple yoke assembly altogether? or with one correct and one incorrect part?

The overall length of the Headlamp ear from top edge to bottom edge is (on the outer side) 8 1/2 inches (not including the top rubber)

All the possible drawings and reference materials and parts books lead me to believe that I have all that I need (except for the dust cover)

Would the dust cover somehow add the additional 1/2 to 3/4 inches I need to get the headlamp ears in place?

I would welcome any ideas on where/why/how this thing is derailing

Thanks and regards
Gerard

Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Turns out the repop lamp ears I had were 1/4 inch too long....not fabricated properly.

Had several folks take measurements of originals and other repop's ...turns out the outside flank from top edge to bottom edge is 8 1/4 inches long

Mine measured at 8 1/2 inches