1967 G15CSR Rear Sub-Frame Spacer

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Good Day folks

I am hoping someone can provide guidance on a spacer that is called-for when assembling the Rear Sub-Frame to the main cradle. This involves the bottom/lower attachment point.

The Parts Listing for the fasteners is as follows:

- 03-2266 Frame Loop Stud (bottom) QTY 1

- 02-9833 Frame Loop Stud Spacer QTY 1

- 00-0009 Frame Loop Stud Washers QTY 2

- 00-0002 Frame Loop Stud Nuts QTY 2

Everything is self-apparent except for the single(?) 02-9833 Spacer placement. (I question the quantity of "1" as this parts manual has quantity errors elsewhere)

Does it fit on the left/drive side or the right/timing case side to alleviate/compensate for some offset?

Is it positioned between the Rear Sub-Frame Loop and the Main Cradle attachment point (irrespective of the correct side)

or is it positioned on the outside of the Rear Sub-frame loop? (would seem useless in that capacity)

Any help from a N/G15CS or CSR Owner on where that Spacer sits would be welcomed
Regards
GerardEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 28 Dec 2010 12:28:58 PM
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The Spacer fits between the bottom rail outside and the Rear Sub-Frame Loop on the right/timing case side to compensate for some offset.
Roy
Gerard Harrison

Roy thank you for the quick reply

I would like to follow-on with a question about the Spacer/Sleeve that is associated with the upper tank mounting bolt (rear bolt as opposed to the forward one which I believe has no spacer requirement)

I get that the oil tank's aft mounting point/ear is positioned on the inboard side of the main cradle/frame between said frame and the rear fender brace...and the spacer will fill in the remaining gap between the frame and the fender brace

The spacer (03-1590 Tank Bolt Sleeve QTY 1) needs to either go inboard or outboard of the oil tank's ear....do you know offhand which side of the oil tank ear is correct?

I only ask because it will have some nominal bearing on how pronounced/proud the tank will be with regard to the frame

Thanks again and regards
Gerard
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The early models had a tab on the tool nd battery box that connect to the frame. The oil tank have a straight up bracket. The later models or from 1966 had a slimmer seat so the il tank had a bent top bracket, and the tool box had a spacer ad bolt arrangement. Also some of the dual seats that i bought from the USA have had the the squared bracket under the seat hammered down to lower the dual seat even more. I suspect maybe Berliner did this but i do not have any proof that they did. Al the parts for the later oil tank and tool boxe attachments are shown in the Master Parts book for 1966-67-68. There is an A4 and and A5 version of this parts book.
Gerard Harrison

John, about the seats...I just finished lowering one the other week for this bike in the manner you describe...

however my more refined approach was to use a Dremel w/cutting wheel to cut down (rather than hammer down) the portion of those brackets that made contact with the sub-frame cross-piece so it would sit closer to the tubes

this is an aftermarket seat...and in its as-shipped state it was perched ridiculously high above the bike's frame...the seat's rear-arch did not even approximate the contour of the rear fender...the seat arch would have been appropriate to a bicycle fender.......making the rear view look like the fender as a large head with the seat a midget's hat...

I drilled-out the rear pop rivets on the seat, peeled back the seat cover and took the cutting wheel to the arch corners on each side giving the back-end a more complimentary wider contour to go with the fender...this also allowed the seat to now sit-low enough that I was able to install the 2 rear retaining bolts that run up underneath the fender into the seat pan cross bracket/plate.

I am finding that some of the repop parts come as approximations not replications and fitting is required.....this is not a set of Lego bricks by any stretchEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 02 Jan 2011 12:06:33 PM
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

All the dual seats that i have bought have been genuine, so i have never had a problem with them not fitting correctly. Try Walridge Motors in Canada, as they have many of the dual seats as fitted to various G15 models in stock. If not try R.K. Leighton in England, as the seats that they produce are of a very good quality. I bought my ones from Baxter Cycle. There is also a large T piece fitted on the back of some of the later G15 dual seats.There was a sort parts list of 8 or 10 pages stapled together that shows the 1965 models. This also includes the AJS 33CSR, the only time this model was shown in a parts list. You should be able to find a genuine seat in North America, as most of the G15 and N15 series was exported there.
Gerard Harrison

John I am happy with the final fit for the unbranded seat I have....

it is the right one (theoretically) for the 66/67 CSR judging from all period photos I have seen. The best way to describe it is that it is the one that "splits the difference" between the seat with the side-bolt holes with steel grommets on the flanks....and the pancake-flat scrambles seat...falls somewhere in-between those two styles

Here's 2 links to my rear fame section with the repro fitted..sorry for the mad skillz with iPhone camera

[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee91 ... ame003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee91 ... ame002.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by - Gerard Harrison on 02 Jan 2011 6:25:56 PMEdited by - Gerard Harrison on 02 Jan 2011 6:27:18 PM