G15CSR AMC Swingarm Caps

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Gerard Harrison

G15CSR AMC Swingarm Caps

Post by Gerard Harrison »

OK high 30's today so I felt inspired after a 3pm cup of high octane java.

Took an old screw driver and the trusty Dremel with a cutting wheel...carved out the center of the blade to fit the end-cap retaining screw/nut/spoke-head or whatever the damnable thing is...a little tweaking with the Dremel and it fit the spoke-head like a charm

As I started to back out the screw to get the cap off in order to go spelunking in the depths of the swing arm assembly the entire damn spoke started turning...

and was I surprised? In reply I offer a resounding "No" to that possibility

I am getting better in my expectations..... as now I fully expected this to happen as I headed back out to the garage from the Man Cave with newly notched Driver in-hand

the bike and I have become intimate enemies..... it is a masterpiece of passive-aggressive resistance and obstinate counter-productive dodges and side steps....and occasional ambushes....reminding me very much of my first marriage...or maybe the stalemated troops in trenches during WW1 (aka The Great War) there will be no decisive combat victory...just a lot of injuries until a cessation of hostilities

but I digress here...

Any tricks to this?? or shall I take the Dremel to the other side of the bike and carve a slot into the spoke end's head to hold it with a flat blade screwdriver?

As always, the collective centuries of experience here are appreciated

Regards
Gerard

John Donne

G15CSR AMC Swingarm Caps

Post by John Donne »

Get a copy from Jampot Spares for their Hints and Tips booklet, as this has a whole section concerning the duplex frame swinging arm. For the parts, try Russell Motors, or Steve Surby, at AMC Classic Spares, or Jampot Spares. The swinging arm is the same for all G15 N15 models, and was also used for the 1960 G12 twins. For oil use SAE 140, not grease or EP90. The bushes are of the oilite type that retain the oil as part of their construction.