1963 G80CS Top End Woes

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50

Re: 1963 G80CS Top End Woes

Postby Mick D » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi

Those weights confirm the bush was something pretty close to pure aluminium - certainly not aluminium bronze.

I have to say, I admire your apparent relaxed attitude to this - I'd be chasing the vendor to see if they were aware of the state at sale.

Regards Mick

Postby dave16mct » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Funny this, I'm sure they were alloy originally. The twins were, they ran in the alloy conrod, no bush. I'll have a root in the shed, I might be some time.......
Dave

Postby jack clegg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 am

My Interceptor runs the pins direct in alloy rods, but they are made from sterner stuff, Hiduminium RR56. I doubt this bush is of the same quality alloy. The way the internal oil groove was so nicely cut had me fooled, that & the staining made it look like a pukka bush. I bought this bike off a Club Member, as seen as driven, only myself to blame. I don't believe he was responsible for the mechanics & used a third party. Bodgetastic workmanship though. I first checked the rotor was secure. I could easily have left it to run a bit rattley, it appeared to function well, plenty of oomph & sounded good until under load at low revs. No-one but me thought it rattled at all. Amazing how these old motors still function despite.
TTFN Jack
John Marshall

Previous

Return to Competition / Racers