G80TCS Questions

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
MikePurchase

G80TCS Questions

Post by MikePurchase »

Hi I have recently bought a 1961 G80TCS and have found that there is little general information available on them, can someone help with the following:

Are the electrics the same as for a G80CS?
Which would be the best oil to use, castor or mineral? Suspect that this will be personal choice.
Has anyone fitted a concentric mk1 or 2 carb - if so what size and configuration?
Is the button type switch on the headlamp the dip switch?

Grateful for any information on these rare bikes.

cheers, Mike
Don Madden

Re: G80TCS Questions

Post by Don Madden »

The TCS Typhoon electrics & most other things are the same as the CS, the push switch in the center of the headlamp shell is the push-high/push-dip switch. The original carb was the 1-3/8in GP, clamp fitting type on a manifold but 1-5/16in monoblock was offered as optional. I believe the late G80CS did specify concentric but I have no info on it. Monoblocks will work fine on both engines but should be fitted with a wide spacer or manifold for best operation. The GP carb was 1.375in, the monoblock 1.3125, 30mm is 1.18in & 32mm is 1.23in. The Spanish Amal came in 34mm, (1.34in), & 36mm, (1.42in) but these are set up for two-stroke engines & would have to be modified to work. Burlin could probably set up a type 1 or 2 concentric in any size you want but your will have to work out how to mount a type 2. You should not mix any "bean" oil with petrolium type. A sniff of the oil will readily identify castor oil types. SAE50 works well in these engines for most applications, more important is that the T/S bush have little clearance to avoild starvation of the big end. Cheers, Don. 8-)
MikePurchase

Re: G80TCS Questions

Post by MikePurchase »

Hi Don,
Many thanks for your reply. The electrics are as I thought then. The bike has the correct, alternative monobloc fitted, however, the mounting flange is severely bowed due the the mounting nuts being over tightened. I have a set of spare concentric carbs off an 850 Commando, 32mm, and a mk2 34mm, so wondered about fitting one of those.

The oil is a bit more of a problem as I do not want to strip the engine down unless absolutely necessary. It does not smell like the Castrol multi grades that I am used to and I know that you do not mix the castor with the mineral. Will have to do some more checking. Would like to use a single grade mineral in the future.

Cheers, Mike. :beer: